Heater body suit, Warmbag, etc.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Logman, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anybody use a heater body suit, warmbag, etc.? I know that the HBS is over $300. I don't know for the warmbag. I know there are times I'd like to be warmer when in the stand. Are they worth it? Pros/cons? Educate me.

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be getting an HBS as soon as possible. I've heard way too many good things about them.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I carry enough crap in the woods with me. There is a good possibility I'll be carrying a camera and arm next year as well so a HBS is just too much for me.

Based on Justin's recommendation, I just ordered a Milwaukee heated hoodie to wear as a mid-layer for cold weather along with a spare battery. This should keep me warm for up to 12 hours. I'm pretty confident that this combined with a quality merino wool base layer, bibs, and a quality outside jacket layer should keep me warm in any temperatures down to single digits.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If something happened to my hbs today, I'd have a new one on order tomorrow. Worth every penny IMO.

5. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious as to what your findings will be with the Miwaukee Hoodie. I just talked to a buddy last night who said he will need about 6 batteries to make it all day. He said 1 1/2hrs at best of good heat? I was hoping to hear a better review as it seemed like a nice solution.

6. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also I would be interested in the HBS but would also be afraid of having more to carry in. I complain about how heavy my pack gets in November let alone adding another 7lbs(?) to carry in. I think it would be a bit over the top, but it is still an option I am interested in hearing about others feelings on them.

7. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is this like the one they sell at home depot? I have seen the camo one at a different hardware store in Rockford. I was considering the HBS and then looked at the IWOM suit and it really intrigued me. But $400 is a little steep to order unless I've actually seen one in person.

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same one. I wanted the brown one so I had to look around online to find one as try are discontinued in my size, but I believe the black red and gray are in stores.

9. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    Before I had the hbs I'd pack my outer layers in, then I'd freeze, now my outer layer is my hbs. Its a bit more weight than the outer layers I used to haul in but I'm also comfortable now. I guess having the ability to stay on stand is worth a few additional pounds being packed in to me.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I walk in a lot lighter then I ever use to without a HSB. I'd say I work less even when carrying the HSB. I sure don't sweat like I use to even when I was packing my outer garments. The key for me is the ability to keep my feet warm. Climb in the bag, drop in hot hands body heater in each foot and you can stay in the stand all day in single digit temps even with a brisk north wind.

I told myself for years I didn't need the HSB. Wish I would have bought into it years ago. If someone were to steal all my gear, I'd be ordering a replacement that same day.

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good post and I agree 100%. I actually pack lighter with my HBS, I got mine about 6-7 years ago and I love it. It will be 21 degrees in the morning with 10-15 mph winds and I will be comfortable in my HBS.

12. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A guy I was hunting with last weekend had one. I have never seen or heard of it before so I asked what it was...he said he took it to Canada last year and was hunting in temperatures around 0 degrees and never got cold. That's impressive

13. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my HBS!! If you buy one and don't like it, just put it up for sale in the classifieds on AT.....it wont last long!

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IWOM you can wear and walk in nothing to carry, works great.

15. Jimmie

Jimmie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard nothing but good things about HBS. Seems the older I get the COLDER I get. I'm gonna have to investigate. Maybe next year.

16. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Warmbag. I only used it when it was 5° or less. It's very, very warm. In fact, you kinda hate to unzip it when a deer shows up. Lol

It packs down into a manageable size. I tied it to my climber and barely noticed it was there when I hiked in.

17. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The area I hunt is heavily wooded & even while paying attention I frequently have deer sneak up on me. It's tough enough to try & grab my bow & come to full draw undetected without having to unzip & take off a "sleeping bag". Also like mentioned above I have enough crap to carry in w/o a HBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ THIS, Even tho you don't have to unzip, it's one more step to being busted. Thats why I am intrigued by the IWOM even tho its $75 more. I am digging the idea of walking in wearing sweatpants and sweatshirt only. I don't get to take the whole week off during the rut, maybe 2-3 days, so I want to sit all day those days and if my feet get cold, I am miserable. $100 here for baselayer, $100 there for pants, all add up.

19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This couldn't be any further from the truth. I'd say the HSB can be to your benefit. It completely hides all your arm and hand movements. Its very simple. 1. Bring palms together and raise them to your chest pushing them out the whole by your neck. The bag unzips and is almost completely silent. It slips off your shoulders and back. The chest strap are crossed keeping it from falling to your hips, knees, feet. Grab bow and shoot. I can almost guarantee I am quieter then you are when I draw as I don't have all those cloths on. I typically wear just a base layer, heavy camo shirt, and vest.

20. purebowhunting

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't agree more.
    As for walking in with the IWOM, that would be the last thing I'd want to think of doing. The idea is not to sweat in cold weather, walking in with the IWOM on is a horrible idea IMO.