Team Driven2Hunt - Team 32

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by patinthehat, Aug 18, 2014.

1. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Jake. Good luck bird hunting; I love South Dakota pheasant hunting. Haven't done it in awhile and used to go every year. Too much bow hunting I guess :)

Rednas that is a stud of a deer. Congrats to you for that trophy. Can't wait to hear the score and story.

I had a couple of long days in the stand and blew it on a decent buck yesterday. In all I saw four bucks yesterday and two does. I didn't see a thing until 12:00 pm when a big spike appeared right in front of my stand. Then nothing until 3:30 pm when I get a call from a doctor's office I've been waiting on for two days. All day I thought that if the call came I needed to take it and most certainly that would be when a shooter showed up. Well sure enough that preconceived notion came true. I got the call about 3:20 pm and almost didn't take it but since I hadn't seen anything but that one deer at noon I took the call. One minute later I look up and a wide, short tined 6 pt is standing in front of me looking into the bedding area to my left. "Oh no" I think to my self and then I hear rustling and a doe busts out. I told the lady I would have to call her back and hung up the phone dropping it in my vest pocket while grabbing my bow with other hand. All at the same time a 20" heavy 8 pt steps out and stares at the doe...and off she goes with him on her tail. I had just gotten clipped on the D-Loop and they were gone. The deer did not have long tines but he was heavy, wide and looked to be an older deer. I would have loved to taken him. The little 6 pt slowly walked by and then followed them. I chuckled at first but as the evening went on, it soaked in that I had over 70 hours in the stand waiting for that moment and then blew it. I kind of wanted to jump out of the stand...but then heard a deer coming behind me. I turned to see a 1" spike tracking the doe backwards past my stand just to rub salt in the wound. :D

Today, I sat from a half hour before daylight until dark. I had a bobcat come in to 4 yards (my first) at 9:00 am followed by a doe that walked into the bedding area 10 minutes later. I later saw a doe and a buck too far away to get a good look at. Then at about 11:00 am a spike rousted the doe out and pushed her by my stand. I was hoping it was the wide 8 but it was not to be. At 4 pm another doe passed by and that was it. It was really cold all day and a long day. This stand has put me in a great spot as I have seen 7 bucks and 6 does in shooting range and 12 different bucks total. Tomorrow I will hang stands for the weekend hunt and if I get done quickly, I will hunt one more evening where I hunted today. Good luck ya'll!

2. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Rednas! What a buck!

3. Logman

Logman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah rednas! Great buck! Congratulations

4. thomas1213

thomas1213 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job red !!!!!!

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good Work Bro! Awesome Buck!!

6. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alarm went off at 4am but I was exhausted. Slept in this morning and will head out for the afternoon around 11 or 12p. Wonderfully cold today!

7. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to everyone hunting this weekend. I'm gonna head out to a new piece of property this afternoon see if i can nail a doe. next week starts ML season. I will be getting the smoke pole out with me but i always take my bow in case they come in close and i can get a shot.

8. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A quick run down on last week's hunting...I had 14 deer come in shooting distance last week but only the one buck I blew it on mentioned in my earlier post. Saturday and Sunday were really windy and some rain on Sunday. Had a 100 inch buck under my stand that bowed up on my decoy but he was only a two year old so I let him go. I also had two big does coming my way when a coyote came out of the brush and ran them off. My buddy saw four big bucks but the only one he had a shot at was at 40 yards in a 20 mph crosswind so he passed on the shot. I will hunt tomorrow and Friday and that might be it. Hopefully I can get it done.

9. comescrashing

comescrashing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven't been very active, kind of frustrating this year with blown opportunities. Got out yesterday with the muzzleloader to get some meat and ended up killing 2 doe and a buck. Heading out tomorrow with the bow and will be bowhunting the rest of the season. Felt good to have some succes after so much failure
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

10. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well what did the buck look like?!

11. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey congrats on the deer. Makes you appreciate how challenging bow hunting really is doesn't it? :D Good luck to you the rest of the season. I sat in a stand all day today. Should have quit after 9 am when a fork horn came in to my rattle. At 7:35 a really nice buck ran a doe by me at 27 yards but wouldn't stop for anything. VERY FRUSTRATING! I'll be back at it tomorrow and hopefully he comes by again and I have a better story to tell. :)

12. comescrashing

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, he wasn't big, but my first buck so I was happy.
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

13. comescrashing

Dislikes Received:

im having trouble trying to upload it

14. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    Well it has been a little while since i updated. Of course I havent hunted in over a week either lol. I hunted 18-21 with absolutely no luck. Been a little frustrating to say the least. Especially when I have one spot that I know I have 2 awesome bucks and I'm having to compete with other club members to hunt it. I should be able to get out sometime towards the end of this week though. Id be happy shooting a doe at this point. Once you go so long into the season without flinging an arrow at a deer, you start getting a little antsy lol.

15. aRroW_adDicted

aRroW_adDicted Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck later in the week pat. I've been a few times this past week and have seen deer movement but nothing exciting to report. Good luck to everyone else as you continue your hunt!

16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am heading out tomorrow to Property #2. We cold front is moving through tonight and temps will not get out of the 40s tomorrow after being nearly 70 today. EHD is hitting hard here in Wake County where Property #1 is located.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  17. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Who is hunting this weekend? Where is everyone at as far as your hunting season goes? I have until 1/15/15 to get a buck but it gets more difficult as we get further past the rut.

18. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    I probably won't get back out until next thru-fri. It is mid 70s here this weekend. But I have until 1/31/15. Our trophy property is rutting right now. Our other properties wont rut until after Christmas. Which at this point all I can add is a doe, but I don't want to shoot any does right now. Prolly will start shooting does again towards the end of next month.

19. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    back to the top. Finally going back out! Going to go hit one property tomorrow then another on friday. Our managed property is full blown rut right now so I'm gonna pull out all the stops tomorrow see if i can get a big one on the ground. Friday I am hitting up the property where i killed my buck last year. They arent rutting yet but that place has been hunted twice in the past two months so hopefully the big boys are comfortable with moving around.

20. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Pat!