Cold Feet

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunter_vargas, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Bowhunter_vargas

Bowhunter_vargas Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lets hear how some of you guys deal with cold toes during those chilling hunts.

2. Pahunter71

Pahunter71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i used to use the old standard foot warmers, and they worked alright but when they run out (which i noticed they don't last long regardless of what the label says) there is basically no other option than to suffer through cold feet or to have to take your boot off and put new ones in. So this year i decided to buy the thermacell heated insoles and they are great so far. They last 5 hours and you can put them on no heat, medium, or high. Which is good because when you're feet aren't cold you put them on no heat and it doesn't use up barely any battery life at all and when they do get cold you can put them on medium or high. These insoles kept my feet warm during an all day sit last weekend with temperatures that were 25-35 degrees with 15 mph winds.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I can't tag out before it cold I will break out the IWOM, keeps the whole body warm

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the same problem but it was because I was using uninsulated rubber boots.

Bought a pair of 600 gram boots, and with the combination of hot toes, it would be comfortable down to 25ish.

5. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Just bought a pair of Lacrosse Alphaburly 1600 grams and use them with Lacrosse Heavyweight boot socks. They're amazingly warm. Plus I wear Cabelas ECWCS Polarweight baselayers (quarter zip top and bottoms), which keeping your legs warm goes a long way for keeping your toes warm as well - and a good hat helps, too!

6. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked up the heated Proflex insoles. Hopefully I can use and review them soon.

7. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heated insoles - 2 pair of good socks! That's the best you can do really.

8. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased the heating insoles and they work like a charm.

9. 400excracer

400excracer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I used a pair of Heat Demon insoles. They are powered by a lithium battery and work amazingly well. I also have their vest and the battery powers them both for about 7 hours. There are 5 settings so you can adjust them however you want. I will never do a cold weather hunt without them again. They are expensive, but compared to the money have spent over the years on different gear to keep warm they aren't bad and like I said they work great. Buy them now though because they are getting out heated apparel because they cant compete with the cheap Chinese knockoffs. If 7 hours isn't long enough you can also take out small battery (ATV/Motorcycle) in your backpack and hook it up to that since they were designed for the motorcycle industry. I cant say enough good things about them. I used them for the first time last year for gun deer season and it was 10 below opening morning. The only reason I came out of the woods was my son was freezing to death.

10. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted in -25 below temps. I wear lacrosse iceman boots. I wear one regular sock and a heavy wool sock. Feet do pretty well for a 2 to 3 hour sit.

11. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use merino wool socks, toe warmers and 600 gram insulated boots. I also tape an 18 hour hot hands pack to my kidneys and use the toe warmers stuck to my knees. I do both of that on my compression layer and even my hands stay pretty warm without cloves on or with a thin pair of early season gloves. I have found that the use of the toe warmers on my knees and the hand warmer on my kidneys, I stay really warm all over. In addition I will use spray on antiperspirant on my feet for long walks in. It keeps my feet from getting sweaty and wet then cold.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wear a thin liner sock with a merino wool sock over it, and either 600 or 800 gram boots and no matter what my feet still get cold. I've been wearing HotMocs boot covers with a set of disposable hand warmers in them for the past 6-7 years and absolutely love these things. They're very light and easy to pack, easy to put on, and don't get in the way. Unfortunately they're out of stock everywhere on Earth right now because I've been trying to find another pair as a backup.

13. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Disposable hand and feet warmers. I know I don't hunt in cold like your guys but my blood is thinner.

14. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Justin - Cabela's Canada has them, I ordered a set two days ago and they just shipped today.

HotMocs Shoe/Boot Warmers | Cabela's Canada

15. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1600 gram boots and thick socks. The 1600 gram boots is the real deal for beating cold feet. My waders have 1600 gram boots on them and I can stand in water with ice in it for hours wearing nothing more than summer time ankle socks.

16. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What about the IceBreaker Boot Blanket sold here on this website? Anybody try these? I have wanted to get them but like hearing from someone that has tried them first. Then again, how many gadgets do I buy before breaking down and getting the HeaterBody Suit?

17. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using the Arctic shield boot blankets, 800 gram boots and a mid weight wool.
    I can drop a warmer in if need be, their also quieter in the stand than boots

18. AWK08

AWK08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gander Mt. merino wool heavy weight socks in Rocky BearClaw 1000 gram boots has been working good for me, and my hands/feet get cold easily.

drying my boots after every hunt is key to warm feet on the next hunt
    these can be used at home or in the truck too for mid day drying before an evening sit.............

Dryguy AC DC Boot and Shoe Warmer Dryer DG12 | eBay

19. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone tried using neoprene wafer socks as extra insulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Darn tough socks. Are. Bad. ***.

Also if my feet get cold the rest of my body must be a literal ice cube...