Nocked and Locked-Team 10

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Sticknstringarchery, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck you guys. Sons birthday this weekend so I'll be back at it the following week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm taking my 11 year old daughter out for the youth season this weekend. We set up the ground blind in a great spot on the edge of my clover/chicory plot. I already knew where I wanted to put the blind, but when we got there I noticed a huge new rub on a tree less than 25 yards from the blind. Couple that with the community scrape that has opened up again less than 70 yards away on the other side of the plot, this could turn out awesome. I just hope that, if given the opportunity, she is able to take the shot. She's actually a great shot, but she is very nervous about shooting the .243 for some reason. It took her 20 minutes and a meltdown before she finally pulled the trigger for the first time when we were practicing this weekend. After that, she took 4 more shots no problem. Hopefully she is past that mental block of being worried about the gun hurting her. Only way we will know is to get her in position to take the shot. Hopefully that will happen on Saturday morning. I have a good feeling she will get the opportunity at a good buck!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Skywalker, Good luck to you and your daughter this weekend. Anybody else getting out? I'm looking forward to some texts :-)

-D

4. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job Skywalker! Looks like I will get some time in next week. Hope I can help the cause.

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Coug!

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    We had a pretty good youth hunt. Saturday morning, it was cold and the deer were moving. We saw at least a dozen deer by 8:30. There were a couple young bucks chasing a group of does. Reagan had a couple chances a does, but didn't take the shot. The first one was a doe still carrying her fawn, and Reagan said she didn't want to shoot the doe since it still had the fawn. Works for me. Then we had an old mature doe come in all by herself. She was in the clover plot for several minutes. Reagan was trying to line up the shot when she got spooked, blew and took off. She ended up circling back around and standing perfectly broadside at about 15 yards from the blind. Reagan had her lined up and couldn't get the trigger pulled back. I think she had here finger high on the trigger and didn't put enough force on it to get the trigger to fire. Oh, well it's a lesson learned and a good experience for her. It slowed way down after Saturday morning and we only saw a few deer the rest of the weekend, none of which cooperated and gave us an opportunity. Either way we both had a good time, and I was able to instill into her the fact that you can still consider your hunt a success, even it it means you never pull the trigger.

7. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a doe Nov 2nd last light found her Nov 3rd. Also have had <100 inch bucks flying around all over me nearly every sit on one particular property have 5 shooters on camera in the past week. Missed a 120 on Oct 30th rushed the shot he got downwind started to bolt and I merped him to a stop couple white hairs on the ground. :(
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  8. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! !

9. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work!

10. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Good job! Looks like we will be out in full force Saturday and Sunday.

11. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Add 68-7/8 to our score. He wasn't very big but, he's in the cooler on ice.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  12. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    So I really wasn't going to shoot this guy at first. I watched him cross the branch at the bottom of the hill, walk 40yd from me and started to go up a finger and would have went on out to the pasture. Then half way up he stopped, doubles back and meandered around for a minute. Then he made a B-line for one of my shooting lanes. I guess I saw this as a sign and decided to take him. I drew and he stopped in my lane so I let it eat. The shot was a little higher than any other I've shot but, as soon as it hit blood poured down his side. I watched blood spray so I knew it was good. A 200yd easy tracking job lead me right to him.

I didn't get a full pass through though which troubles me. Not sure exactly what happened as I have yet to find my arrow. I'm still unsure as to it's whereabouts. I'm going back out tomorrow to try to find it. This is the first deer I've shot with a Rage and the arrow weight set up I've been using to blow through every deer so far. He's also the longest shot I've taken at 26-28yd. That may have played a factor. The blades could have bent as they both caught rib. I have one more Rage head left and I'll be evaluating if I will use Rage in the future. I do want to find that arrow so I'll know for sure though.

13. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    You get 4 H (circumference) scores. Add those on. ;)

Congrats!

14. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys old sticks started a trend. I was fortunate enough to kill a 153 in in 8 point tonight. Ill get it added to the scorecard tomorrow.

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Clinton! Didn't this or something similar happen last year? Gotta whack a doe for 50 more! Let's get this train rolling again.

16. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go guys!!!!! What a bunch of killers :)

17. BH.COM-CLINTON

BH.COM-CLINTON BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Yup. I think this might be about the same scenario STICKS. Now we just need to work hard toward the same outcome.

18. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Killers! Stone Cold Killers!!!
    Congrats everyone!!!
    I'm heading out Thursday for a 4 day weekend. Firearms season starts on Saturday but I'll likely bow hunt.

-D

19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Same here, I'll be out with the bow in hand once rifle season starts. My daughter wants me to take her back out opening morning, so I think we will go sit in the blind again and see if I can get her on a buck. After that, my season starts over. I have a mature buck I'm hoping to get a crack at.

20. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I shot last years buck a year ago Sunday so pretty much the same time line. Now it's doe time.