** Official Midwest/West Team Thread**

Discussion in 'Other Deer Contests' started by bowhunter448, Aug 5, 2014.

1. NebBowhunter

NebBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the Great Buck.
    I head out early next week and plan on bowhunting all of rifle season. Its on private land so I always know if there are any rifle hunters around.

Good Luck to all.

2. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw 2 does & a buck this morning but not in range. I'm in the same boat as rocky with not much rut action goin on here. 2.5 hours left in my first all day sit of the season so hopefully I see some movement. Big cold front suppose to move in early next week bringing daytime highs in the low 20's. If that doesn't get the rut goin I don't know what will?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll get off work at 2:30 am and I'll try to get a nap in before heading out in the morning. I plan to hunt a couple hours. Our rifle season starts Saturday morning. I have a sweet spot that gun hunters seem to push deer to every season.

4. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    6 more days until we're on the mountain.

5. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey wreck can you outline your trip?

6. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    it's been horrible here too with very little daylight movement. In 2 days of hunting... I have had 2 bucks in bow range and neither were worth shooting. I am hunting some of my best spots and can't believe how slow it is. I am not even seeing the doe move during light.

Tim

7. Pro V1

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain Tim! I'm hoping that cold front next week gets things goin.

8. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    So here's the plan. Our season opens on Monday, but I won't be out, I'll be stuck at work :(. I believe Marshall will go out Monday only (he has to work Tuesday night). He was out scouting yesterday and said he come up on a little buck, 8 does and a nice 4x4 by where we have been scouting. We'll both be out of the field until Thursday morning when we will load our packs in the truck and start hiking in. We plan on being in our current spot around 6:15 (sunrise is showing 6:30 on my Weather Underground app). We'll spend a couple of hours hunting there and depending on what we see, we'll keep on hiking in to another big draw and hunt there for a couple of days. We'll be out from the 13th - 18th and the season closes on the 20th, so we'll bust our backs to fill tags in those five days. I have some map snapshots on my computer, but they won't let me load them right now for some reason.

9. bornfromthecorn

bornfromthecorn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like a good time! Hopefully you can capitalize on your time in the field!

10. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    I think we'll have a successful season. I have seen more deer down low ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415371468.355274.jpg (this is outside my shop at 4:20 last night, temp was 58) in the past week then I've seen in a long time. Marshall saw some deer last night and was only out for 3 hours round trip. It's the anticipation that is killing me right now.

11. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well Dang
    Still no doe movement 4 ,full days on stand and only 8 different bucks.Could have shot 6 of them. The best one was a 5x5 , maybe 130.Supposed to drop from +5 today to -25 in the next 2 days. I'm loving hunting with no snow and the warmer temps. Lol how can you tell I'm getting old.Wonder when the chase will start! Got to be any day now. The big boys should start grouping up there does soon to. Good luck to the ones that still need to put a buck on the ground.
    Rocky

12. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw four does, two fawns and a young 8 pt this morning. The fawns were the only ones offering a shot.

13. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Woke up To Snow.
    Well it's finally here.Now the hunt starts, I need to switch my camo over today to my whites. Well good luck today team
    Rocky

14. Pro V1

Dislikes Received:
    A swing & a miss!..........

15. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rifle season opened here on Friday so I took the wife and Britney to the city for some visiting and fun. We bought a blind and Brit some winter pac boots ( sorrels ). We got back late yesterday afternoon and decided to go for a drive to see how many rifle hunters were around. Surprising to us there were not very many. Then the big surprise was seeing Trash running around right by the flipping road. We have a plan for the new ground blind !! The wife isn't crazy about it as it puts us about 60 yards right off a gravel road the road hunter like driving. We will be in a tree belt running parallel with the road that the deer like running during rut and old rut haunt of Trash's.

We will set it up early this afternoon and hunt it the next 3 days hoping to get a shot at Trash. I will make a mock scrape if there isn't one in the area we set up to slow him down for a shot. There is another buck running the trees too that Britney really like also.

Hopefully the road hunters won't be too bad as I will leave my vehicle sitting on a hill along side the road as a deterrent to keep them poaching and shooting in our direction. We have some very bad slobs/poachers and they all seem to come out during rifle season.

Tim

16. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nooo!

17. HoytHunter831

Dislikes Received:
    We have them bad here.

On another note, I'm still hunting quite a bit trying for another nice buck. Even though it doesn't count for the contest I can still give you guys updates if you want.

18. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We want to know so keep us updated. Good luck on the second buck !!

Tim

19. bowhunter448

Dislikes Received:
    You're going for your second buck and I haven't even gone out yet! Lol. The bag is almost fully packed (still need to pack water), strings will get a good wax, the weather report is pulled ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415572983.887887.jpg , now all that's left to do is wait. Talk about a long week!

20. HoytHunter831

Dislikes Received: