Whats the best work schedule?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by cmonsta, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like my schedule.... work when I want , for how long I want, take off when and for how long I want...... it suits me pretty good.

If course being on straight commission does have a few drawbacks when the economy slows down like it did in 2009, but otherwise I love it !!!

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    My wife did the 13hr days/10hr sats/9hr Sundays for the first two years. We didn't have kids, and it still was terrible. Granted she did have a lot of time off throughout the week, but she also worked every other weekend. Now she is in with probably one of the best retail pharmacy environments in the East Coast (Wegmans). Only works every 5th weekend, and much more consistent hours (all 8hr days except when she works weekends, but with the flexibility to take weekdays off when/if needed (schedule is very mobile with 5 full time staff pharmacists).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  3. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do this same shift. The back and forth of days and nights can get tough but...you take two days off during one of your weeks and then you can have two weeks off a month!

4. Fredo

Fredo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Rick,

Think this one out carefully. Children do not need money as much as they need you. Our time is predetermined and no one knows what that may be. It is not possible to "make it up" later. I am speaking from experience having entered into a pact with the devil with my children trading their time for cash to give them more. They never received the "more" because what I did not realize was that it was always with me. My grandchildren are the grand beneficiaries of my mistakes. I am with them constantly giving them what they want in over abundance.....my love and that is all they ever want. Maybe later it will be a car but for now my hugs and kisses gets it done big time. Take heed.

Fredo

5. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't complain to much about mine!!! 5am-5pm 7 on 7 off!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like my schedule of 4 tens with Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. If a holiday falls on my day off I get another day and we get 10 days off for holidays. I also earn comp time at time-and-a-half so I keep about 40 hours in the bank all the time. I carry 320 hours of PTO and have a flex schedule so I can change my hours at any time as long as I get 40 in the week. Typically I work 7 am to 6 pm and get 4 hours of comp a week. I'm fortunate to take 1-2 weeks off in July, 2-3 weeks in September, 2 weeks off in November and 2 weeks off in December.

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I do like mine im currently on. I work 7 am to 3:30 pm mon through friday. I work one week end every six weeks and have the previous thursday off and the following monday!

8. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I work 8a-midnight. 16 on then 56 off and repeat in EMS. Plus I usually pick up atleast 8 hours overtime every third day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds perfect. My sister works the same schedule for Walgreens in KY... As a single guy I just want more free days... Relationships and kids would change my outlook I'd imagine.

10. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As a Paramedic i work 24/48s and i love it. When i get off at 7am tomorrow, ill have 2 days to do whatever i please. Paychecks every 2 weeks go on a 120/120/96 hour rotation.

11. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I work 4 on 4 off 12 hr days. From 7:00-7:00. I'll work 4 days of night shift, then 4 off then back to 4 days nights and then rotate to day shifts for 2 sets. I like it for now.

12. mango_xd

mango_xd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same shift I do. Been doing it for 12 years. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

In 20 years I can retire at 51 years old.

13. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My scheduled hours are 6:30 am to 3:15 pm, those very rarely happen. Those hours happen when it's slow and that is almost never. Mostly, I start my days at 5:30 am and go til 4:00 or 4:30. I am an engineering project leader so my times can vary greatly based on project milestones. I spend a week or two a year in Brazil or Japan. The worst is project launching. During those days I may get to work at 3:45 or 4:00 am and work until 6:00 or 6:30. That is short lived, only a week or two. The hour drive each way doesn't help with that either.
    Don't get me wrong. I see my kids almost every night (except when traveling or hunting out of town). I very rarely work weekends also. If I need to leave early to go to a child function or hunt I can.
    Vacation isn't too bad. I always get shutdowns off (July and December) and I get 3 more weeks on top of that. Typically I take the kids to Florida over the July shutdown, and use the rest of the vacation to hunt. Actually, I'm off all next week.

I'm looking at taking a new position, those hours will be 8:00 to 5:00 but never a weekend. Vaca will be about the same.