Team Driven2Hunt - Team 32

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by patinthehat, Aug 18, 2014.

1. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Camping out this evening. Going to be in a tree first thing in the morning!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    Well had a good day in the tree yesterday. Didnt put anything on the ground but any day you can see 6 bucks and 5 does from a tree, it's a good day! Saw my hit lister come out and hang up at 50 yds behind a branch. We was working a scrape over. All the other bucks werent shooters. Almost had a couple does in range but the yearling bucks are nosing them around and nosed em right in to the woods lol. I'm either going back out fri or sat and going to climb a tree a little closer so i have a clear view and a 40yd shot to his scrape.

3. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good day Pat :)

So my October hunting plans have kind of fallen apart. Had the car in the shop last Sunday and planned to go out Monday. Didn't get the car back until late Monday afternoon so I only really had time to go in and check my camera. No daytime buck activity on the mock scrape - possibly some night visits but the way I had the camera setup the IR flash was partially blocked by another tree so I didn't get any decent night pictures. Repositioned the camera, freshened the scrape and left the area before sunset.

Fast forward to this work week and I've finally decided that it's time to get a new car. My current ride has 200k miles and is 10 years old. Needs some minor work plus a new clutch and I don't feel like putting more money into it. Going to look at something new on Monday and hopefully buy if everything is right. That's great overall but I probably won't be heading out this week or next weekend until I get a hitch receiver mounted so I can use my carrier. (I love hunting but i'm not putting a dead deer in the back of my brand new $20K+ car).

So anyway, that's where I'm at. Really looking forward to November!

4. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    Well today was a perfect example of why it is called hunting and not killing. Day break i had a doe, fawn, spike come out below me at 10 yds. still wasn't shooting light so they got a pass. they worked back into the woods on my other side and apparently found where i walked in and started blowing like crazy. Well i knew Curly and the bachelors would be coming in anywhere from 730-830. 730 i catch movement from where they normally come. one deer starts to come out then turns around and runs back in and i see 5 deer run off and start blowing. the wind was in my face and they were 100 yds off. I don't know what happened there. Finally had 2 does come out into the plot. Change of luck? Nope. Got one branch blocking the closer one so I focus in on the 2nd one. meanwhile the closer one walks into the woods. I get ready to draw back on the 2nd one and the arrow pops off the string. The rest caught it so now I'm trying to renock while this doe is standing there. i get ready to draw back again and my freaking weather alert on my phone goes off. so now she is on alert. I get ready to draw on her and she runs off. definitely was a rough day. Im thinking about moving to a tree on the other end where they come out. Its tricky though because they come from everywhere.

5. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's quite a hunt. Having them come from everywhere is a nice problem to have. :D I killed two does in Oklahoma this weekend and will post one on the scoreboard now. All the bucks are showing up at night but hopefully will give me a shot in a couple of weeks or so.

6. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    Grats on the doe!! yeah it's a good problem to have and also a bad problem to have lol. Hunted a kill plot i planted on another property last night and this morning. Missed a doe at 20 yds last night. apparently sitting down and shooting aint as easy as it looks if you haven't ever tried it lol. That and i forgot my jacket so 50 degrees with just base layers makes for a cold evening. should be going back out friday and doing it all over again!

7. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had two does come in behind me on Friday night with about 15 minutes of legal shooting time left. They started feeding in front of me and it took a while to get drawn as one or the other was always looking my way. I shot the bigger of the two at 20 yards and right at the exact same time that I touched off the shot, she took a step toward me. I was using a lighted knock (thankfully) and it clearly looked like I hit her back. The arrow passed completely through but my heart sunk at the thought of gut shooting a deer...and at 20 yards! She ran toward me to my left and it sounded like she just stopped. I didn't hear her go down or go further but wasn't sure if she stopped or just went into a grassy area that was 30 to 40 yards to my left. I let her sit for about 20 minutes and got down after it got dark. Thinking it was a gut shot I called my buddy and told him I was going to wait rather than look for her right then. I picked up the blinking arrow and it was completely covered in blood. I met my buddy for dinner then we went to look for the doe. We were pleasantly surprised to find her dead only 35 yards from where I shot her, and sure enough she fell in the grass. Upon examining her, the entry hole was just a bit forward of mid body and the exit hole was through her left flank next to her upper leg. We only found two small drops of blood which really made me think it was hit too far back. I was surprised to get a complete pass through with a mechanical broadhead (Killzone) but glad that I did so I could see all the blood on it. Inside I found part of the right lung and liver completely sliced up. She died in about 5 seconds literally.

The next morning I was in the same stand with another doe tag and a buck tag to fill. About 45 minutes after shooting light, I caught movement that turned out to be a deer's ear flicking. She stepped out at 30 yards and for the next 10 minutes she moved to my left behind some brush and then back out; then back in and back out. She couldn't decide if she wanted to pass through my shooting lane or not. It was a long wait and finally she started walking right at me. I really thought there was no way I was going to get drawn as it was an extremely calm morning and she would easily pick out any movement. She stopped and looked around before turning to her left and looking behind her. I took that opportunity to draw and slipped the arrow right behind the shoulder. I got another pass through and she ran about 65 yards before piling up. Once again I was surprised to get a pass through given the arrow went through the off side shoulder and completely ruined it. All the damage looked like she had been shot with a rifle. I filled two doe tags in about 12 hours time and that felt good. I didn't even get to draw my bow last year so this was just what I needed. I sat last night but the wind was all wrong. Hopefully I'll be back at it the first week of November.

8. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome story! Ill be back at it on friday. I switched to the killzones this year. Havent connected yet but ive heard great things about them as far as penetration and pass throughs.

9. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Nice write up JGD!

Hopefully getting my car sorted out this week so I can be back at it next week.

10. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome job on the does!

11. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a doe this weekend fellas. I'll post up her pictures on the scoreboard tonight. Seventh deer I saw that night, Awesome hunt and my Girlfriend was with me when I shot her so that was pretty cool to show her how it's done :tu: Weighed in at 120lbs dressed so she had been eating pretty well, my biggest doe to date.
    10155178_10204990557067568_2452051061173273207_n.jpg

12. rednas5

rednas5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great job Jake!

13. aRroW_adDicted

aRroW_adDicted Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer gentlemen. I hope to get out this weekend. There's a frost coming in this week and the bucks seem to be a little more active.

14. Swampstomper

Swampstomper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats JGD and Jake.

15. thomas1213

thomas1213 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job on the does men I went after work and hung a new set in a place I have seen a real nice buck on two different times i hope he messes up this weekend and I get a crack at him. He had the place tore up with rubs and scrapes.

16. patinthehat

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with him Thomas. I am headed back out tomorrow morning to the place I have been hunting. I slipped in Sunday and trimmed up a couple shooting lanes that prevented me from shooting 4 different deer last week. Haven't sat the stand since last Friday so tomorrow should be a good day. Saturday I'm going to go sit the property where I killed my buck last year. Got some huge bucks in the area that I'm hoping are moving at daylight now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

17. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck when you head back out fellas!

Got myself a new car earlier this week! Putting on a tow hitch this weekend and taking care of a few other things so I can be back out on the 31st and 1st. Feels good to not have to worry about car problems for awhile and it's pretty awesome to go from an 11-year old vehicle to something brand new :)

I will probably drive up and freshen my mock scrape and check the camera on Saturday - the area is closed to hunting on the weekends.

18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am heading out this afternoon.

19. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck fellas. If we could all stick a doe that would make our score respectable. Throw in a few bucks and we would be right up there. I won't likely hunt now until after the 1st but hope to put in 6-8 days of hunting the first couple of weeks. Congrats on the new car Slider. What did you get?

20. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Got a 2014 toyota rav4 awd. Good space and good gas mileage. Perfect for my needs.