Answer this question honestly

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dude.....that was tongue in cheek.....since you stated the too easy argument ...why dont you shoot a longbow then? ;)

2. 400excracer

400excracer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting a deer with a compound bow is all the challenge I need. :) I do have more respect for those that kill a deer with a long bow or recurve.

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with ya ..... I may pick up a crossbow but I will never stop hunting with my compound

4. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care what anyone hunts with as long as it's legal. For me personally, I would not feel the same if I killed one with a Xbow. For "ME" if would not be equal. As far as someone else. Don't really care either way.

5. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Having had one in a stand when deer come in at a less than perfect place or angle (like behind you) I'd say it doesn't compare well to a rifle. A rifle you turn around and brace against the tree and boom, not so easy with a crossbow. I'd agree if the deer came in perfectly every time right where you want them to but it's been my experience that's not always the case.

6. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Probably said while shooting a modern compound equipped with draw stop , peep site , and multiple pins (arrow drop compensators) . IMO easier to shoot than a crossbow .

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Parker crossbow and my landlord has a Tenpoint. I bought mine for my parents to use. Between the three or four I've shot personally, I'd prefer to rely on my compound. I've never seen one that I could shoot dependably out past fifty yards, which to me would be getting into muzzle or rifle territory. They are big and awkward as S**t...

I'd pay money to NOT have to use a damn crossbow just because I feel a vertical is easier.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What's your point? Mine is that I don't consider a crossbow "Archery." It requires very little skill to become proficient. Point, aim and pull the trigger, sounds more like a gun than a bow to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

9. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Funny, that's what I do with my compound..... I still question all that think crossbows are the same as a gun. Have you all shot one? They don't shoot 50 yds on a string right out of the box like some claim.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've already said I don't have an issue with people using crossbows during the appropriate seasons. In Missouri, that would be during the alternative methods portion of the season. I just expressed my opinion that they require very little skill to be proficient. I guess I'll provide an example of what I'm talking about. If a six year old girl can effectively shoot a crossbow, I would say it doesn't take any real skill to be proficient.

[video=youtube_share;xcbcjP8zRM0]http://youtu.be/xcbcjP8zRM0[/video]

11. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Sounds to me like your just being a sour puss cause one of your buddies killed your target buck with a crossbow. No I would not care at all. I would be happy for them if they used a rifle, shotgun, crossbow, compound, whatever. Everyone makes decisions for themselves. Were all hunters and we should all support one another. I love my compound bow because for me it's a great challenge and I personally love carrying it in the woods. My father is 68 and has bad shoulders. He can't pull a bow anymore. But he killed a monster last year with his Excalibur. Who am I to discredit his kill? The shot with any weapon is the easiest part of hunting. The hard part is everything before the shot. And he did all that to earn that buck. Shooting a deer with a rifle at 30 yards is absolutely no different the shooting him with a bow at 30 yards. No offence but if you can't hit a 8" target at 30 yards with a modern bow and sights you shouldn't be hunting.

12. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is a different weapon, so of course it is different. If you use a recurve bow, or a crossbow, or a vertical bow, they are all different and have their own categories. Just like if someone killed a big buck with a sling shot, it is different.

The main point is do what you feel is best.

13. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why does it even matter what weapon you use to hunt with?

14. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Daryl Dixon makes it look easy... js ;)

15. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a problem with people using an xbow its just that the xbow brings out more people who take horrible shots on deer. What i'm talking about are those gun hunters who shoot at the sound of movement and things like that.

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is proof positive that most guys on this forum cant answer a simple question.

17. mickeyt360

mickeyt360 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion i do not look at using a crossbow as bow hunting. i think they should have a special season or used only in rifle season. i have shot a couple different crossbows and i can hit the target easily @ 80 yds. if i wanted to shoot a deer that far i would just use a gun.

18. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

LOL must of touched a nerve with a little dose of reality . The point is ,that it doesn't take any effort to become proficient with a modern compound but your more than welcome to keep thumping your chest and telling yourself that your better for using one .

Me , I'll keep smiling and killing deer with whatever means I need to use to get it done :)

19. Simplicity

Simplicity Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I think that gun hunting is dumb and something I'll never be able to get myself to do. That being said, I live in Iowa where crossbows are only used by those who have a disability or 65 and older. I don't mind if people kill with an xbow because those who do, usually have a reason to do so. It's because it's easier and more forgiving for those who might need it without hunting with a gun.

I'm a BIG non-fan of shotgun or muzzleloader hunting though...

20. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do think this is an issue. Recently NC had it's first archery based fatality and while one case doesn't tell the whole story... It was with a crossbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk