Answer this question honestly

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Oct 16, 2014.

1. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that traditional archery is by far the most challenging. As far as a compound and a crossbow, who cares they are both very easy to shoot within a short period of time. To me a compound works better in the tree, a crossbow better out of a store bought roofed blind, and my recurve well I pretty much need the deer to volunteer for me to shoot it at about 10 yards not in a tree and not in a blind. ftr they never volunteer.

No I don't view the kills differently between compound & crossbow or any other weapon for that matter.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm late to the party on this one but I'll give my opinion. I don't feel they are even close to equal. A crossbow is cocked, locked and ready to rock. Most have a scope similar to a rifle scope. In my opinion, I would put the crossbow in the same category as a muzzleloader, but certainly not in the same category as a vertical bow. I have no ill will towards crossbows and would even possibly choose to use one in certain instances like extremely cold weather where drawing a bow becomes much tougher. With that said, I DO NOT want my state to allow crossbows during the archery season. I'm totally fine with them during gun season or the alternative methods season, but I just feel archery season should be reserved for archery.

3. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, not the same. I look at it as a rifle kill, shot the same, just cant shoot as far.

4. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care live and let live.

5. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know anyone personally that has killed a deer with a crossbow so its never been an issue for me. I don't judge people on what they choose to hunt with, and I wouldn't care what anyone killed a deer with, I'd just offer congrats to the lucky hunter.

The "80 yard killers" really need to spend an afternoon shooting a crossbow. To hear some people talk, you would think its like shooting a 30.06 :D

6. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know they are just opinions but I will never understand the "logic" of folks so quick to compare a crossbow to a firearm yet they completely disregard a much more accurate comparison, the ballistics of the weapons. Yeah like a crossbow is so much easier to hold and shoot because it's cocked. Carry one up in a stand and shoot it off hand at 40 yards and let me know how that works out for ya. That vert bow with 70-90% let off is so much more difficult to handle ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    These 2 posts make too much sense guys....go somewhere else and let the haters hate ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  8. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I took my son (almost 3 yrs old) hunting with me yesterday. We were ground hunting in a fence row hiding behind a small fallen cedar. We had a fawn come in on a string and ended up 6 yrds in front of us and I had 0 chance of getting my compound pulled back without being busted. As skywalker said a crossbow is cocked, locked and ready to rock. Even when you hunt in a tree stand if you have multiple deer come up.. sometimes so many eyes makes it darn near impossible to get pulled back. I think not having to draw your bow has to make it a ton easier. ( have never hunted with a xbow so correct me if I am wrong) ;)

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you can't draw on a fawn at 8 yards.....well...

10. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    Well what..

11. Broadhead27

Broadhead27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Having shot Rifles, handguns, crossbows, bows, and spearguns I certainly believe that there is a certain degree of difficulty to using a bow. No doubt about it. Beginning with the distance between you and your target. Then add a few other factors that can greatly affect your shot. I think it's certainly commendable hunting with a bow taking all of that into consideration but I don't have a biased opinion as to what anyone else hunts with. A good clean ethical harvest is what I care about. Nothing else.

That being said I can say that certain situations are more impressive than others. Hypothetically speaking if you used a rifle, a Xbow, and bow, and a sling shot on the exact same deer and the exact same yrds and produced the exact same result..A clean harvest...I would have to say the most impressive of the four was the slingshot! all of the harvests were great...but a sling shot! damn that's impressive...

And that's how I feel about bow hunting.

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well ....use a crossbow then?

13. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The crossbow you have to hold up, the vert you have to hold up, and pull out! :evilgrin:

14. fingerz42

fingerz42 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No, they are not equal.

15. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the point of this thread was if a xbow was equal to using a vertical bow? Just pointing out some of the ways I think a xbow makes it easier. :sheep: Why would I want to use a xbow? I enjoy the challenge of maybe being able to draw... and maybe not. That and not that I would want to but its not legal for me to use a xbow in my state.. Im not disabled or a senior :bow:

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this thread should have been limited to a yes or no answer.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What fun would that be???

18. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Come on NEW, you can shoot it out of a tree stand the same way you do a rifle, where is the special orders saying you have to shoot it off hand. Cross your legs, put your elbow on the inside of your knee and there is your rest. I would also shoot one off a bipod out of a blind or a treestand if I was not a good offhand shot.

19. Hoyt23

Hoyt23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No they are not the same to me. I view them as requiring more skill than a gun to use, but not as much as a vertical bow. I don't look down on people who use them, I just know I could have a lot more deer on the wall if I used a crossbow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 400excracer

400excracer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why dont you? Why doesnt everyone? For me personally it is because of the same reason that I quit gun hunting a few years ago. Gun hunting wasnt much of a challenge. I like the challenge. Someone on here earlier said it well. I could have more deer hanging on the wall using a crossbow. Why? Because it is easier than a compound bow. Less movement and more range equals more deer on the ground. Plain and simple. It just isnt for me. With that said I have no issue with older people or people with disabilities using a cross bow.