Raging Antlerholics - Team 15

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by tacklebox, Aug 18, 2014.

1. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out all weekend, heading down to the farm. Hoping to put some big points on the ground. Been rainy an cold all week, they are callin for sunshine this weekend. Saturday morning is looking really good!

2. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to checking some cameras and moving a couple tonight... Hopefully I see some promising daylight activity, or at least close to it, outside of the bedding area.

3. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any good deer activity over the weekend?

4. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    I did get my oldest out for his first duck hunt Sunday morning...I'm not a waterfowler, but my brother in law is and invited us to the blind...took my two oldest, with only my oldest having a gun.
    Had some activity at dawn, then very little after...but was a complete success with his first duck bagged...a green winged teal. Kids enjoyed it, we'll get up another time or two later in season when they are migrating (what's nice is that it's only about 5 minutes from our house).

I always have a little fear of "losing" my kids to waterfowl hunting...since it's so fun and during the peak of deer season...but as I tucked the boys to bed that night and relived that hunt, my oldest (who got his first deer also the weekend prior)...said "yeah, but there is just not the adrenaline rush like there is with deer hunting"...that made me smile inside...don't think I'm going to "lose" him:)

[​IMG]

5. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy day in the stand yesterday..... deer began to pour into the foodplot shortly after sunrise. First about 6 does followed by a couple bucks. Then chaos ensued, more deer arrive and the chasing begins. Bucks were chasing does all over the plot, working scrapes, grunting, and carrying on! Pretty sweet morning sit. Got down and grabbed a bite and checked a couple cards. Shooters on the scrape the night before at the very last minutes of legal light. Went and quickly set a new stand on another property and was greeted with a huge scrape 10 yds from my choosen tree. Wrap that up and I headed back to the plot..... At 6pm I begin to hear crazy noises coming from inside the woods, maybe 70 yds off the plot. I couldnt figure out what was going on, sounded like someone tryin to call up a squatch lol. The I heard something bang against my feeder. I'm tryin to see through the woods with my binos and can see minimal movement buck couldn't make anything out. Suddenly all hell breaks loose, limbs breaking and chaos. I see a big doe haulin it followed by one of my shooters. I flipped on my cameras and grabbed my bow, then they make a hard left and run past the corner of the plot at about 60yds and circle back into the woods by the feeder. I watch as he pushes her back and forth back and forth. I tried bleatin, grunting, snort wheeze.... Nothin...... Then I really get after it, snorting and blowing, growling and snorting some more. He breaks and charges my way about 50 yds, only to stop dead and begins to snort and blow back at me, I return, he replies. I can hear him stomping and pawing, snorting his azz off...... I am thinking... any minute he is gonna close the gap. then his girl catches his attention again and I hear them crash through the creek to the west and all goes quiet. So close...., yet sooo far. Awesome encounter that left me shaking pretty good. Get in the woods boys, deer are gonna die this weekend!!

P.S. After thinking through the events, I am seriously thinking the initial noises I heard was the doe being bred. I can't be sure and it seems kinda early but.........

6. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds awesome! Hope we can get some more updates on this thread...:)

I made it out Sunday 10/26 for my first sit of year...wasn't expecting much with forecast of 77 that day..and was right, two fawns was all I saw. Everyone is reporting seeing more bucks on feet in daylight around here and some are starting to fall...hope to get out this Sat morning, otherwise I did get off 11/10 and 11/12 to sit most all day - looking forward to it!

Let us know how the rest of you all are doing?

Good Luck to everyone!

7. SWitchBacKXT

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out all weekend. Lows in the high 20s over night. Things are differently heating up.

8. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my update.

Been very doe shy. Bucks have been on the doe groups early and I normally don't have an issue shooting one second season if we are in that close of contention.

I missed a 112ish buck two Friday's ago. Just happened. Did a few really rookie things, got humbled.

I'm in a good stand tonight and tomorrow on a scrape line.

Get it boys

9. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    50 pts

Got home late from Halloween last night after 10:30...putting kids to bed my second oldest (age 9) asked if I still planned to hunt in morning, I told him yes, and he said "can I go with you"...Well Yeah!

I already knew where I wanted to hunt so started thinking where to put him...as we wouldn't be going to the one buddy stand that I usually take kids to. I would be hunting "the swamp" and there is an older ladder stand about 10 yds from my ladder stand, but also knew he might not like the height, so I brought an old portable stand and ended up putting it about chest high same tree below my ladder. In the low 20's this morning and he did so well, had a doe come in early and get to 34 yards but she was on full alert and kept looking our way so didn't want to risk a poor shot if she'd jump string. Not long later a doe and two fawns cam trotting in and I saw antlers behind them but didn't look like shooter so focused on the lead doe. She would come up to about 10yds right in front of my son...I had my phone on my bow and got some of it on video...I heard her go down just out of sight but let son track her to get some experience. I ended up passing up another 100 pts when the buck hung around and came to about 8 yards...but overall great hunt with my son and so fun to see him excited about it.
    Tonight at bed he said "if I could, I'd go hunting again tomorrow"...love hearing that.

50pts for Team 15...and time to get some antlers soon.

[​IMG]

Crappy cell phone vid from homemade mount on stabilizer:

http://vid338.photobucket.com/albums/n421/bz_711/14-11-1 vid_zpspv8jvzqn.mp4

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  10. SWitchBacKXT

Dislikes Received:
    Atta boy Matt!!

11. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Lotta action over the weekend.... just need to catch a break

12. SWitchBacKXT

Dislikes Received:
    I hear that.

Crazy weekend lots of sightings saw a shooter both sat an sun night. Thought it was gonna happen last night, but the doe had other plans an of coarse he followed lol. Headed down to the farm Friday night be down there for about 10 days or until a big buck hits the ground!!

13. MBrauer

MBrauer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a super old 8 point last weekend. Scoring him right now then Ill enter it. He was a 5 1/2-6 year old... no back teeth and really worn fronts. Field dressed out at 196ib. Not sure If I should enter this guy or wait on one of the bigger ones I am after. He will probably score in the 130's what do yall want me to do? Sleepy3blank.jpg

14. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck! Rules state you have to enter your first buck anyway...we'll gladly take those points...post it up. Congrats!

15. MBrauer

MBrauer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect! In that case I'll get on it!

16. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Let us know the final total...(and hope you got two pics with bow/buck/you)

Should be some more points rolling in these next two weeks...keep after it everyone!

17. MBrauer

MBrauer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got tons of pics no worries!! Is there a time restriction of when I have to post the score by? The head is back in tulsa and I am in stillwater so it may be a few days before I can get someone to score it

18. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    You should be fine...below is copied from the rules:

8. Post your photos and information in the scorecard as soon as you can. Holding back entries until later in the competition will no longer be allowed, especially now that people can shoot a second antlered deer. I understand that many hunters cannot post pics from camp, but be sure to get them entered when you get home. Anyone caught sandbagging their first buck in hopes of shooting and scoring a larger one, will be banned from the competition and future Bowhunting.com Contests.

Since you have already posted your pic on team thread, it would serve to show you are not holding out the score in hopes of replacing with different buck...obviously score would need to be posted before contest ends around mid-January.

You could do what others have done and go ahead and post two pics on the scorecard with date/time killed...with note that score coming soon. Once you post score I'd PM Fitz to let him know to go back to your page and take your score into account.

Again - nice job...I'm expecting quite a few more bucks from this group...including myself.

Right now I only have next Mon & Wed cleared to hunt...hope to get another 1-2 quick hunts in before that, from reports the bucks are moving like crazy last two days in IL...Good Luck to everyone!

19. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a beauty! Congrats! Post him up!!

20. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, post up the pics, date, and time of kill, you can edit and add score when you get a chance. Congrats again!