Lone wolf stick and stand users

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DoubleLung84, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I get to the base of the tree I set my stuff down and try to quietly remove the debris from the area that I wil be standing. I then separate the stand and all the sticks and take my straps out of my pockets and lay them down. I make a separate trip up the tree for each stick I hang, putting the buckle side of the strap on the versa button on before I climb up.

If I hang all 4 sticks I'm probably in the stand ready to hunt in 7 minutes (if it's a straight tree with no branches to be trimmed), but when I started it took me quite a bit longer than that, and my process was different. Keep working at it and you will find what works best for you.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do the exact same. You will get quicker!

As for the bow holder, I had to add a bunch of the camo sticky fleece material all around the edges so there is never a metal on metal sound.. and now I use it.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Big woods does not = old woods.

4. Wolfie

Wolfie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok everyone i use lonewolfs day in day out first use the offset bracket save the money and it holds better and takes the same amt of time. Second set two sticks right away then put your stand on your back with two sticks on each side (if u flip your stick upside down shove the step in your pocket on each side to hold them then climb hang your stand lower your bow rope climb down grab your pack tie your bow climb up and hunt takes about 5-7minutes its quiet and easy hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Shockwave

Shockwave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also use a lone wolf and sticks. I've gotten my times down to 10-15 minutes. The offset bracket is a must for me with all these crooked a$$ trees around here. The video posted is decent but there is a different one that I got tips from that seems to be a bit more efficient. Using the tips in the vid, you only make one trip up the tree and its pretty easy. I haven't perfected the process yet but Im definitely getting better. I didn't make the vid, but its a good vid and the guy has several other good hunting videos as well. Hope this helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fQeTZ_kpM&list=PLjMQKE3bCrDYmz258MrNCnp_KCBIkBB8x

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I tie my pull rope to the drag loop on the back of my harness. Set 2 sticks leaning against the tree base. Hang first stick grab 1 stick. Climb up two steps and just rest my leg on top step as a spacer to prop the second step that I then hang. Reach down pick up 2 sticks. I'll look for a branch/crook above my head to temporarily hold the sticks. Top second stick, use leg as a spacer hang #3 grab next stick and hang #4. Pull up and hang stand. Untie the rope from my drag loop and let it fall and climb down.

I keep a bowline tied at the end now on the ground, slip the limb through the bowline and a slip knot for the top of my bow (may make sense if you see an Oneida, else think recurve). Above the bow I tie on my pack. I gran my hook and head up the tree. Anchor off at the stand, hang my hook. Pull up pack and bow.

I'd like to eliminate the up, down, up, but haven't committed to climbing up with the stand on my back less it throw my center of gravity.

~Bill

7. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So glad I read this thread! I am really starting to venture into using purely sticks and hang on due to the versatility, my main question is how many sticks do each of you use and how high can you get with them typically?

I know I will most likely have to just experiment with using different amounts of sticks and so on, I'd prefer to only use 3 sticks due to weight advantage for the long walks in, but will probably be using 4 at minimum for the height I'd like to reach.

8. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Also, can you guys post pictures of how you have your sticks attached to your stand when walking in?

9. MN-IN.A.TREE

MN-IN.A.TREE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't like having anything on my back when I was hanging the steps. (tree stand, backpack etc.) At the same time I did not like having to make multiple trips up and down the tree to clip on to all my different gear. So I started with multiple ropes dangling around near my feet tied to my pack, bow and stand. quickly learned that I didn't like that either after my first time getting all tangled into the multiple ropes.

What I did to solve these problems was tie one rope to my stand and clip it to my harness. from my stand I tie a separate rope to my pack and another separate rope to my bow. Now I only have my sticks and one rope attached to me as I go up the tree. Once at the top and ready to hang my stand I pull it up which also brings up the two ropes attached to my bow and pack. Now there is no need to climb back down to hook to my bow and pack Once the stand is hung I hook onto the tree with my safety harness and climb onto my stand, reach down to pull up my pack, hang that on the first set of lone with sticks. Screw in my bow holder and then pull up my bow. One trip up the tree and didn't have 3 or 4 ropes attached to me the entire time, and I didn't have to have my stand on my back during the climb up either.

basically its the same process the guy in the youtube video above does. The only difference is there is no need to climb back down if you hook the ropes going to your bow and pack to your stand first thing at the base of the tree before you start climbing up with your sticks.

10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

~Bill

11. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

12. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    only problem i have with my stand and sticks is that i wish they had a better way to attaching to my stand. i use the stand straps to wrap them around the stand like they are ment to do but the other half doesnt stay clicked in place. Been using a bungie cord. As of now i have had my stand up and in it in about 20-25 mins. and i dont use the bow holder. i tried once and bow almost got stuck.

all about practice,

13. Cledus

Dislikes Received:
    I remember Fitz had a specific way to pack in his stand, sticks and bag. Hopefully he will chime in with pics and show case his method.