Standard VS Small diameter carbon arrows

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tmg033000, Feb 17, 2017.

1. tmg033000

tmg033000 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Have a friend new to bow hunting and he asked me about what arrows he should buy which in turn got me thinking about the arrows I use and why?

When I first started hunting I used the arrows that came with the Bow-tech I bought used off Craigslist. They were Gold Tip somethings maybe 7.4 gpi and standard diameter. I shot a Texas Hill country doe so basically a big dog :) using a Toxic 100 grain broad head and shooting 70 lbs. I was surprised that I didn't get much penetration(got in to the second lung) so I started looking for a new arrow. I found the small diameter carbon express pile driver pass through extreme at 10.7 gpi.

I have had great success with these small diameter and heavy arrows and was just curious what everyone else thought.

2. budman0985

budman0985 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same thing small diameter heavy arrow works better for sure I shoot victory decimators with a 1" broadhead and it works great

3. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Loved My Easton Deep Six Injections! Also around 10.7GPI I believe, but prefer the Easton inserts.
    The penetration difference on hard target faces were clearly superior using the Injections. 3 pass through's this last season. Zero issues.
    Choice in broadheads will naturally have an impact on penetration too ;)

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love the standard CX piledrivers at 11.3 gpi. Have not had a penetration issue with my barnesdale BT 340 destroyer at 72# DW and 29" draw.

5. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not to try and highjack the thread here, but I've been looking at getting some new heavier arrows for next year and really like the piledrivers. Are those small diameter only, or can they be found in the standard size as well?

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been very happy with Easton Axis for deer and Easton ACC's for elk.

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say the toxic BH was the reason for not much penetration.

I only use 5mm arrows for hunting because of how much more penetration they get.

If your interested is a great small diameter arrow you guys need to check out Black Eagles Rampages. .0001 straightness even.

Rampage Fletched 100% Carbon Arrows

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot Easton Axis arrows at 425 grains from my set up in the signature. I have yet to not get a passthrough on a deer.

9. Bowslinger2

Bowslinger2 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    At 70 lbs I wouldn't worry about what arrow I used. Aim small miss small.

10. Keef

Keef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Victory VAPs and RIPs are great nano size shafts, as are the Black Eagle Deep Impacts. Have used all of them and get great penetration. Often pass throughs on deer and I only shoot 52 lbs.

11. Huntzilla

Huntzilla Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting post... I've been shooting full metal jackets recently... I have a short draw (26.5) and when I took my bow to the shop the guy working on it said that I needed a lighter arrow. We were having problems getting them to fly straight. I don't think he was trying to sell me on anything and he was very dedicated to getting my stuff in working order. He's also a very reputable guy in the area. Just suggested I go lighter bc they were going to sink so bad. On the other hand I want a good penetrating arrow..... Stuff that keeps me up at night lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums