Rain Check

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Garet, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know it's smart to check trail cams right before a rain so that your scent will be washed away, but what about during the rain? My plan was to check trail cams today and make a couple of mock scrapes. However, it is raining for what seems to be the majority of the day. Do deer move during a rain storm more often or do they hold tight? Will the rain wash away everything i put down for my scrape?

2. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For as much as scent control is important, I get plenty of pics of deer on my camera just after I check them or put them in.

I've see as many deer moving in the rain. Maybe more than I have on sunny days.

No experince if scent is washed away. I would imagine it would not help your case.

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Deer do move quite a bit in the rain. As far as putting scent on your scrape, rain can't help you at all but not sure if it would wash it away completely. Guess it depends on how much rain you get.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer still live outside. I can't count the times that I've noticed fresh tracks in the mud after a rain in a scrape. It'll let you know which ones are being used.

5. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    deer will move more in the rain. Why? because the rain acts as bug spray for the deer so they can move around without having to worry about bugs and it cools down the temperature a bit.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Deer come to freshen up scrapes after rain. if it's raining real hard, In my experience, they lay up. Deer activity really picks up after a few days of hard rain/storms.

7. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience it takes 2 senses to be compromised for deer to not move. Example would be heavy snow and wind, compromises both sight and hearing. Rain would have to be heavy to stop movement. As for scent washing away, a lot of rain can help but light rain can actually increase the chance of deer smelling your scent as moist air increases their ability to smell. It's more difficult to smell in extremely dry air.

8. Garet

Garet Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

That's good to know. I snuck out there right after the light rain stopped and set up some mock scrapes. I'll let you know what turns out.

9. Mo Bow Hunter

Mo Bow Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer to do be out in rain this time of year. Hunting in the river bottoms it's the only time I can go out and not get carried away by mosquitos. Plus I have always believed it washes my sent away and I can move in and out undetected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk