Pre Rut Lores

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Dashua18, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Dashua18

Dashua18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to be hunting the weekend of October 21st in north east Texas. I was wonder what, if any, pre rut scents and calls i should be using during this time that could increase my odds? I've been thinking about getting Tinks Trophy Buck with scent bome, a grunt wheeze call, and a rattle bag. Will this work during that time of year?

2. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I assume you meant lures not lores? I don't use rut scent until the rut gets close since my past experience showed bad reactions. I do use doe urine at times as well as smokeys Preorbital gland scent. And no, I am not the same Smokey.

Once they start responding to rattling I will place estrous scents out. Think of a "V" with me at the base and the scents at top of each line of the "V" Wind blowing from top of the letter towards direction I am at. That way any buck trying to get downwind of the rattling on either side of me will hit the estrous scent first then turn to find the hot doe. It works.

3. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In Texas, I would say something that smells like corn if you don't want to actually put corn out.