Ohio public land hunt

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by MI_Brad, Jan 17, 2016.

1. MI_Brad

MI_Brad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about putting together a public land whitetail hunt in Ohio. Looking for any info I can get, locations, guides?, which season to hunt, pretty much everything lol. all info is greatly appreciated

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is TONS of public land to hunt in Ohio, my advice to you is to pick an area where you are considering heading to and find multiple public lands surrounding a centralized area and just make a trip and go scout them. I have been hunting Ohio public for the past 5 years and it takes a lot of boots on the ground to figure out where the deer are and where they go when the pressure gets high. Every trip out I learn new stuff by travel in farther and deeper into different tracts of land. Ohio has a site that provides maps and details of the land that's available. Find one that peaks your interest and hunting style and go scout it out. I typically have my best luck around the rut just like anywhere else, I dont hunt gun season in Ohio it's a circus at least where I have been. Went out the first year and that was enough for me. Archery is typically less pressure in most lands, the harder the access the better chances you will be by yourself out there. Get a GPS also that thing saved my butt a few time and you can make points where you put stands or to mark sign. Good luck!!

3. MI_Brad

MI_Brad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply, That's probably what I'll end up doing, any suggestions on general areas? I have heard Coshocton, Licking, and Muskingum counties are good.

4. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to do an Ohio hunt as well!

5. JMann11

JMann11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would highly recommend you do a early season archery hunt, there is so much less pressure.

6. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they are supposed to be good, but there is many other good counties all over Ohio, being from PA I picked an area that wasn't too far from me and just went from there. I hunt around Wayne national forest. The land layout is what I would base where you end up going on. The more centralized areas of Ohio are a lot of farm land and less hilly, and others like where I Go are very hilly by the Ohio river. Just depends on what your used to hunting.

7. MI_Brad

MI_Brad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help! I'm going to put in some time researching and looking at maps and head down to scout this summer.

8. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    No problem. Glad to help I wish I had someone start me in the right direction, I wastedalot of time but learned a lot along the way. Also I wouldn't limit yourself to just one or two areas. If you don't find what you are looking for be mobile and keep trying new spots and areas until it produces for you.

9. Galen

Galen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know Coshocton county has some good public land but because of that allot of hunters are in the area once the rut rolls in, You can't ever totally avoid other hunters on public land but definetly look for those areas that are just a little harder to reach .. If it involves using hip waders to cross a creek that's a little deeper then the regular knee boots you might have allot of untouched land... Hunting the rut is going to be your best chance to kill a mature buck without putting in the time to "Find and pattern" a deer on his food to bedding routine!

I don't hunt allot of public land during bow season but I try a few of the spots out during gun season and I kind of like the Egypt Valley area! Not a ton of pressure and the lay of the land creates some good funnels and I'm sure someone could have some success hunting the rut ! .. If you use a climbing tree stand you might have more of a challenge finding a tree that works then a buck! :deer:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  10. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck !!!