NC Public Land

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by JJWise, Aug 27, 2016.

1. JJWise

JJWise Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have orders to go to Cherry Point NC in January and I will be there for a few years. On base we can hunt with bow, shotgun and muzzleloader. Does any one know public land around there that would be good to hunt with a bow or a rifle (I don't own a muzzleloader or slug gun and enjoy firearms hunting just as much as archery)? The base is right next to Croatan game lands but I've heard it can be overrun with dog hunters. Is this true? Neuse River and Goose Creek game lands are also within an hour drive, does anyone know if these hold many deer? Any help is greatly appreciated

2. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    east of 95 you can run dogs. You can join a hunting club which works out well. I know at ft bragg where I was stationed and lived until November last year they have open rifle hunting areas. There is also a Facebook page called NC Deer Hunters or Hunting great people on there and they may have some tips for Camp lejeune area

3. USMCbuckking

USMCbuckking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Semper FI buddy , I'd say ur best bet is to try and get permission from land owners, I was also stationed and lived in that area for years, there are a lot of farm owner who are willing to share there property,

4. JJWise

JJWise Newb

Dislikes Received:
    USMCbuckking I'll have to try that. I'm a little surprised to be honest, I figured most land owners in that area wouldn't be a fan of us. I've been in 29 palms the last year and anywhere is better than here though

5. USMCbuckking

USMCbuckking Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    JJ, most farmers and land owners are good southern ppl who respect our service, try to stay away from surrounding towns near base though, Camp Lejeune allows hunting on base aswell. Semper fi good luck

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey brother its been awhile since I was there. The Croatan is thick and will be full of dog hunters once the gun season starts but prior to that you might be able to get some peace. Hunting on base is not bad at all but you have to put your time in and you will be competing with civilians for space. When I was there bow season wasn't bad with numbers but its been over a decade so that could have changed by now. Also you have the other bases such as Lejuene, Bogue Field and a few others. I particularly liked area 5, I think because it is somewhat separated from the rest of the base. Also deer like to walk the fence edges so check for trails there. Good luck.