Locating deer on public land

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by woodbry, Jun 17, 2016.

1. woodbry

woodbry Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When i was younger i hunted with my father (who is really not a good hunter) on private leases where all you do is supply the equipment and they supply the deer. Well due to financial struggles over the past few years we have had to move into public areas and i have gotten more and more interested in hunting. Bow hunting especially. Well over the past 3 years in public land I've hunted under my father's supervision i guessed you could say. Where he picked out everything and i just showed up. Well since I'm of age now i would really like to go out on my own and find my own deer but am unsure where to start. Any tips on locating east texas deer? Stand placement? Food sources to look for? How to find bedding areas? Etc.

2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    not sure in texas, but boots on the ground and start walking looking for sign. don't expect it all to happen in one year.

3. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A good read and has a lot of tips is Taking pressured white tails by B Vale at pressureddeerpro.com My deer hunting training as a kid like you not great was sit still and if your lucky something might show up. I am forever grateful for my uncle introducing me to hunting

4. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your looking to hunt on public land in Texas, I would consider the draw hunts that come out in July. Yes you have to build up points and that can take some time (yrs). There is the public land that you can hunt with the purchase of the public land book for like $48. The problem Iv heard time and time again is that if you set anything up out there chances are it will be gone when you come back. If you want to try some long shots I would contact land owners. Good luck. and happy hunting

5. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe knock on some farmers' doors and offer to arrow some wild hogs. They might appreciate that, and that might lead to some deer hunting when the season comes around. And bacon goes with everything!

Steve Daniel likes this.