Deer calling

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Firefighter11, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Firefighter11

Firefighter11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    When do you stop using deer calls and rattles

Sent from my XT1585 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    after my tag is filled:tu:

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I call randomly throughout hunting season.

Calls vary depending on the time of year.

4. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This time of the year I won't "blind call" anymore but will use the grunt tube if I have a buck in sight that I want to get the attention of. Where I'm at we've gotten 30" of snow in the last 6 days so I'll be hunting over a food source & that's my ONLY strategy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in PA archery ends 2nd week of November, then rifle starts first Monday after Thanksgiving. So no deer hunting between the seasons. Somewhere in between is the time to stop rattling, since i don't know anyone who rattles in rifle season. I also don't cold call on the grunt tube in rifle season, only if I'm trying to get the attention of something I see or hear. Bleat cans are probably ok right now, since fawns are in estrous here.

6. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This has been my biggest question and could there be a second rut? I don't know if there is a right answer. Also what calls do you use when ? Some old hunters say never call or only use a buck grunt. What works best when besides the rut then all is fair game cause they are crazy. It is a interesting question with a thousand answers.

Your neighborhood Bow Hunter

7. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a doe with a yearling going away from me at like 150 yds this morning, well after the rut here in Michigan (if you believe there's 1 actual rut). I grunted at her just for kicks and she turned right around and came all the way to 55 yds before she smelled me. I had never used any calling around this time normally but she was walking away so I tried it. I don't know what to think. I only call outside the rut if I see a deer and try to get it to come in. I'm pretty new to serious bowhunting and am learning a lot of new things every day, but that's what I do. I really don't know if there is a second rut, but I did have a 4-point come by me grunting like crazy last week so I don't know what to think.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. Excalibur

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of grunt call where you using and if it is an adjustable call, what setting did you have it on?

9. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the primos buck roar deer call. It's also got an attachment on the top of it to do a snort wheeze and a strap to attach it to your arm so you don't have to hold it, as well as a compass on it. You can make it sound how you want I've found out. I wasn't expecting that doe to come into it later in the season, but I hit the grunt on it twice long and she turned and looked back. Then I hit it once short and she turned right around and came right to me. You never know what they're gonna do, but this late in season I figured I'd try it. I've called in many bucks with it so far, that was the first doe I believe.

10. Excalibur

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to pick one up and give it a try, thanks for the info.

Your neighborhood Bow Hunter