Buck decoy's

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by captain71, Oct 14, 2016.

1. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many here uses buck decoy's. I bought one this year and I need some input when abouts you start using them? I hunt in western Kentucky. Thanks in advance.

2. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you can start anytime, but probably more effective during the rut. I read about one guy who removes one of the antlers so the buck isn't too intimidating...seems like a good idea...

3. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use one during the rut sometimes. It has to be a place I can drive to because carrying the dang thing is a hassle. I killed my biggest buck to date over a decoy in Kansas.

4. PolarBoy

PolarBoy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use decoys as a way to pull deer from out of range, which is why I prefer to use them in set-ups with high visibility. I have noticed that even my buck decoy (I use a small fork antlered buck) will pull in does, especially if I face deer away from where I think the deer are coming out; i think it helps not spook does if it appears that the decoy is 'uninterested'.

I have heard that people will use decoys in heavy cover with success, but I haven't had any luck with that.

5. kentuckybuck

kentuckybuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Which decoy did you purchase, or which one do any of you all use? I have considered it but not sure which one to get. I have looked at the Boss Buck, Primos Scarface, and the Ol' Jack Buck. ****'s had the Ol' Jack for $50 this past weekend at the store and almost got it. But If I just can't make up my mind which one would be best, or if it matters.

I saw on Drury's that they took the Boss Buck and put one of their mounted deer heads on the body. That would seem to be effective I would think.

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been running buck decoys for years. I started out years ago with 2D decoys like the Montana and Renzo decoys. I moved to a Boss Buck from there and had awesome success on most every hunt for multiple seasons. The Boss Buck is nice, but it is loud to carry in. The hard plastic parts echo like a base drum ever time you bump it while walking in. Since then I have been running the DSD Posturing Buck. I bought it the first year it came out in 2011 and it has been money almost every hunt in pulling in bucks of all sizes. I start running the decoy in late October here in Indiana and run it right up until gun season starts. Very very seldom do I have a hunt where a buck sees the decoy that he does not come to the decoy. Bucks of all sizes come right in. I don't use scents or other tricks. Just a decoy and a grunt tube ... two tools that I won't leave at home as the rut approaches.