How to find where a deer is bedding?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mottoman112, Jan 3, 2017.

1. mottoman112

mottoman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 120 property that I hunt, and i think i know where the deer are bedding. I dont think that all deer are bedding there though. I think they bed through out the property. Any tips on finding the bedrooms?

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dumb luck. Except one section of High Maples that covers about 40 acres of the 240 I've been able to hunt. Being 100% forest land. No farms anywhere around. The deer just seem to go almost where every they want and seem to bed when and where they choose, that is until the snow flies. Once there is a snow cover they tend to get more predictable staying more in the Spruce and Cedar trees.

During rifle season I had two occasions of deer bedding in an area cleared about 4 years ago. One was a doe with her two fawns in tow. First they went through on almost a run about 10:30 am. Little later they wandered back in around Noon. They ate in the field grass and some plantings I have in an opening. They then wandered into a small section maybe 50 yards square of 4 year old poplar growth. Trees 1-2" diameter and bedded in that for a couple hours. Every now and then I would see the doe stick her head up and nibble on some branches or brush. All while the fawns wandered around on their own. About 4 pm they all met back up ate some more in the clearing before finally heading off. Couple days later I had a spike buck in the same area only he bedded on the opposite side of the clearing on a swamp edge.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wait for some snow and do some walking until you find the melted snow where they were bedded.

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on Public land, and whatever deer are still around are bedding in the THICK stuff. Snow, or not.

5. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I look for beds , you don't need snow, easier IF you have any.

6. mshm99

mshm99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This sometimes useful,but mostly tells you where they bed when it snows.

7. Jleathers97

Jleathers97 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    THICK!!! If you need a machete to get in...that's where they'll be year round.