I want your opinions on this buck. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by davycrocket684, Dec 15, 2016.

1. davycrocket684

davycrocket684 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, long story short I'm fighting with myself about a buck. I've seen this buck twice now and I can't decide if I want to shoot him. I am hunting on 35 acres of private land in the middle of 400 acres owned by ex relatives. I'm in north Mississippi and long story short this is a really good deer(for me in my area at least).

I'm at odds with myself for several reasons. One being that everyone that hunts this area would shoot this deer in a heartbeat. This includes the person who owns the land that hunts with me and there is no talking him out of passing on this deer (he's very stubborn older guy who refuses to try anything new, still hunts without a safety harness etc)

Now I know you are saying "oh shut up and shoot the deer cause if you don't someone else will" but you have to see this deer! I'm no expert by any means but am I crazy to say this deer is 2 or 3 years old max and has the potential to be a giant given the time?

So my question for you folks is simple.

What would you do if you had to wake up and put my boots on in the morning?

Also how old do you think he is?

Let's hear your opinions!

I was actually 30 yards in the woods to the right of the pic when this was taken.

Attached Files:

tlfw likes this.
  2. Brooks23

Brooks23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    He might be 3 but I would say at least 4 with the sway in his back and belly just my .02

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd also put him at least 3 and probably 4. Nice deer.
    I face the same challenge with neighbors that shoot anything with horns.

I'd shoot him.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So you are hunting on a guys land and you are critical of his approach? I hope the landowner shoots the deer doing it his way, and you have to help drag it out.

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never base my decision to shoot or pass on what other hunters would do. If I have to think about whether a buck is a shooter or not, I pass. Never any regrets.

6. davycrocket684

davycrocket684 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I am critical of the land owner mostly because of his illegal ways. You'll get your wish though if he kills the buck, only difference is, I'll have to drag it by myself because he can't. Just like the spike I dragged it out and cleaned it for him because he would through the front half of the deer in a ditch because it "isn't worth it". I said how I feel about his ways and my opinion won't change, call it a flaw is you want but it's just how I feel.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think that deer is every bit of 4 1/2 maybe even 5 1/2.

Passing him twice, looks like you've already made your decision

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well if he is a law breaker have at him. I do have to ask have you discussed the issues you have with his approach?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Spalding likes this.
  9. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you think he will be a giant next yr and thats what you are after let him walk but do so knowing that he might not make it till next yr. if the thought of him being shot by someone else or the buck just not making it to next yr bothers you then take a shot if you see him again. its always a hard decision i tried this on the property i hunt. our camp let bucks go for 3 yrs and we were finally seeing some good bucks then the camp below us shot them all during rifle season. so this yr we are back to 2yr or younger bucks. until i have money to buy my own land i know shoot the first legal buck because i know the other camp will and i would rather have meat in my freezer

10. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is really simple. If you want to shoot, shoot. If you don't, don't.

11. davycrocket684

davycrocket684 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Seen not passed :P

12. davycrocket684

davycrocket684 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Of course, it's always some form of "back in my day we could kill whatever we want" or "us real men don't need safety harnesses" etc.....He is very much so one of those guys that walks around boasting about his younger days and how awesome he is.

13. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you feel this is a really good deer for your area, perhaps waiting is not the right call considering the information your provided. Have you ever taken a deer like this before?

I know that I like to improve on my "best". This would be my best so I would shoot. We rarely have chances at bucks like this where I live for many of the reasons your have stated.

Only you can decide what is best for you.

14. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't agree with the landowners mindset or actions, why are you hunting his ground? I'd find another spot.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, complaining without action is whining I have no time for whiners.

16. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would continue to try and create opportunities to kill it. If and when I had the chance to I would make my decision. Nothing else really matters. Good luck.

17. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many deer have you harvested that are bigger? Never pass on a top 3 buck in your life. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

Spalding likes this.
  18. primetime_Deion

primetime_Deion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I mean I would shoot him. But I haven't shot anything over a 7 point, all I hunt is public land. In your situation, since you're hesitant and even asking about it, you should pass then. When it shows up again next year even bigger, you won't have any regrets and if someone else shoots it, that's not under your control anymore.

19. Bubby D

Bubby D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He is a nice deer.... I would trust your gut which let him walk before. I think he may grow more but who knows. As far as other people shooting him, I wouldn't let that effect your decision on whether to take a buck or not. Being from the great state of pa I watch my neighbors and friends shoot at what ever deer shows up during rifle season. I've passed bucks this year that were taken by another hunter. The bottom line is if you pass a deer he has a chance to live on.. if you harvest the animal he's done.

20. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to agree with everyone else, he is a shooter 4.5 years old or possibly older. I would have shot him.