Arrow fletching advice

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by JHasty, Dec 11, 2016.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I wanted to get some fellow bow hunters opinions. I have been wanting to fletch my own arrows for a while now and told my wife I wanted a jig for Christmas this year. I was looking at either the Arizona mini fletch or the Easton EZ fletch and wanted to see if anyone who had used either one of them and could give me some pros and cons of each jig and maybe give me some advice on glue for the vanes. I'll be using carbon arrows and blazer style vanes. Thanks for the help !

Sent from my XT1080 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using the Arizona EZ Fletch for over a decade and love it. I suggest getting the regular model so you can fletch regular vanes as well as blazer style. You can also buy multiple arms for it. I have straight arms for shoot thru rests and right helical arms for drop away rests to put more spin on my arrows. The reason I suggest going this route is after a while you will get really good at fetching arrows and your buddies will want you to fletch their arrows as well. Trust me, it will happen.

3. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the mini fletch by arizona, it puts a very good twist on my 2 inch blazer vanes, the more twist you have the better the arrow will fly with broadheads.

I use regular old super glue and haven't had a problem with my vanes staying on the shaft, I put three small drops of glue one at each end of the vane and one in the middle of the vane then use the tip to move the glue evenly across the vane.

I good tip is buy you a few tubbs of nail polish remover and find a big can with a lid, that way when you need to clean the jig you take it apart and put the parts in the polish bathfor bout a hour and then let it dry and put it back together and it will work like new again.

I use goldtip hunter xt 400 spine arrows and 2 inch blazer vanes, the Arizona mini is so fast and easy to use plus you can fix one, two or all three vanes at a time.

I was given mine but if I was to buy a jig or get one for a gift I would want the mini fletch jig.

4. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To give you some advice on using one, there is no secret tips other than practice. Your first couple of times using it, you will make some sloppy looking arrows, a little glue will go a long way! As far as glue, stay away from the instant glue types until you get good at fetching your arrows because the glue will destroy the plastic fetching arms after time if you use too much. I suggest using the Bohning fletch tite platinum. It is a mild glue which is easy to clean up after you done fetching. When you apply the glue, just lay a small bead along the base of the vane, you don't have to cover the entire base because it will spread when the vanes get compressed to the shaft. I highly recommend using arrow wraps if you don't already, they are very easy to apply and make fletching arrows easier when it's time to refletch. Hope this helps you out.

5. A5BLASTER

Dislikes Received:
    Or you can tell your buddy's to man up and learn their own skills lol.

From what I read the mini fletch will do a better job with the blazer vanes then then the regular fletch with right hand helical twist that is made to fletch long vanes, but don't have first hand knowledge of this only used the mini and only been fletching my own arrows for bout two months now, and they were very sloppy at first but it didn't take long to get good at it.

6. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    True but when I'm making money doing it, that pays for my fetching supplies.

7. A5BLASTER

Dislikes Received:
    Super glue has yet to damage my blazer vanes, and it won't damage the jig at all it will just make it stiff and gumbed up and when that happens you just clean it with acetone aka nail polish remover, no need for fancy glues and wraps, just scrape the old vane and glue off and give a wipe with acetone let dry and then apply.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Arizona EZ Fletch. I bought one a few years back and I love it.

9. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Enough said about the jig already. You will become good at fletching arrow quickly. It is so convenient to be able to fletch your own arrows. I also put a dab of glue at the front of the vane.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  11. FullQuiverOutdoors

FullQuiverOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i personally use bohning quick fletches they have blazer vanes and work perfectly and u put them on using hot water! easy, cheap, and can shoot right after they cool

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

12. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ez Fletch! Just watch the build up from glue over time or you will start having the fletchings be slightly off.