A big tip to new bowhunters!!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by mottoman112, Oct 12, 2016.

1. mottoman112

mottoman112 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone. So like almost all of you I have been grinding hard out in the woods trying to put down my first deer with a bow. I am only 14. So I got my chance tonight. It was almost dark and a doe stepped out into the field. She was feeding my way so I slowly crept up to the very edge of the field as I was sitting on the ground a little ways into the field. As I got to my destination I turned and realized that 40 yards from me was 2 or 3 does and a handful of fawns and yearlings. The really big doe in the front saw me move, but was still curious. She came to about thirty yards and took of running. Two of the fawns fallowing. A smaller doe started to come right at me as well. I got her to about thirty yards, drew back, stopped her and let and arrow fly. The only problem with that was that I did not take my time. All veterans would know that I made a grave mistake. All i remember was that my thirty yard pin was on her head, her shoulder and I tried to put it behind the shoulder and the shot went off. I heard a loud thunk and she almost fell right over. She took off at lighting speed across the field, the other deer following. I quickly felt a fear that I now know is true. I hit her in the shoulder. I did find blood but not much. We decided that it would be best to pull out and not push it. We think that we know where she might have headed and piled up if that is the case. I am hoping that I will find her tomorrow

So here are the tips -

Before your brain starts to swirl when you realise that you are going to get a shot, remind yourslef to breath and TAKE YOUR TIME!

If you are not sure pull out and talk to a veteran if possible.

10-12-16

2. DubleTap556

DubleTap556 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As a new hunter I learned from quite a few mistakes on Sunday. Was able to draw back a few times but as it being my first time fumbled around the first few chances I had a shot on a hog and wasn't able to fire. Laughed at myself and took mental note. Wound up a successful day just not with my bow.
    Realized exactly that. Take your time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you ever quit learning something every hunt then you are an old, old, hunter. Nerves are hard to tame. I've been hunting for 25 years and I still have to remind myself to calm down before a shot. Did you see how much penetration you got? Find the arrow?

4. mottoman112

Dislikes Received:
    No I couldnt see either. It was two dark. And I will look for my arrow today. We think it is still in her wich hopefully will be a good thing casueing collateral.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any luck?

6. mottoman112

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, followed the blood for awhile and it just disappeared. Hoping she is just fine. But on the bright side,while searchign we found a new area to hunt that was just screaming bucks and dear signs. Tons of scrapes, beds etc. And it is in the wood with a pond surrounded by fields.

Tags: