From field points to broadheads

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Sammus422, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Sammus422

Sammus422 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys so I am wondering if this is normal or not. I've been shooting excellent all year. When using field points it's not uncommon for me to have 3-4 arrows touching and centered on bullseye. A buddy of mine gave me some muzzy 125 grain fixed blade so I figured I would give them a try to make sure my arrows are still gonna fly straight for the opener this upcoming weekend in Illinois. But my shots with the broadheads are consistently to the right and 8"-10" off target. Is this normal? I followed up with some shots with a kills zone Max with the practice blade in and they were dead on target. I then proceeded to try a few other fixed blade broadheads my father in law had and every shot was almost missing the target. I understand that broadheads do not fly like field points but is this a little extreme?

Thanks

Shooting a halon 7 @65 lbs

2. slowmow24

slowmow24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The broad heads may be a different weight then your practice tips, I would check that first. I would then look and see if the 3 blades match up with your fletching. Some times they don't allign an cause major flight problems. I hope this helps.

3. bplayer405

bplayer405 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try bareshaft tuning your bow first. Usually, if bareshafts won't fly straight out of your bow, fixed blades won't either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always had the same problem even when using the same weight for each so now I shoot with field tips to make sure I hit the target only and then I switch to broadheads to actually sight it in. Only shoot one or two at a time or youll cut fletchings though.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The blades do NOT have to be aligned with the fletching.

6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1st BH do not need to be aligned with fletchings. Tested it years ago. I haven't done it in the last 40 years with zero issues in BH flight. I shot 4 fletch with 3 blades for many years with no issues too. What about then? Or the 2 blade guys?

One or more of these:

Your form is poor. Grip it the first to look at.
    Your bow is not tuned.
    Your spine is wrong.
    BH not aligned with shaft. Unlikely if they all go right. Did you spin test the BH?

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need to broadhead tune your bow. You need to bump your rest little to the left and shoot broadheads and field points till they come together. If that does not work you start looking at form and other things like spine.

8. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This might be your answer. Go with what works. I practice with broadheads exclusively. I shoot the Muzzy 100gr 3 blade practice heads. Shoot at separate spots, not groups, for best arrow life.

9. cjschuelke09

cjschuelke09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzys fly terrible in my opinion anyhow.. I don't shoot those anymore

10. Sammus422

Sammus422 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate all the replies everyone. For now I will stick with the kill zones that are flying consistent with my field points. When season closes I will have plenty of time to tune my bow for optimal performance, for now I am confident in my abilities.

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is only one reason mechanicals will fly straight and fixed won't: something is wrong.

It's the primary reason why folks love mechanicals so much...because they shoot like field tips. A properly tuned and set up bow should shoot BHs and FTs the same or nearly the same. Slight variations might occur but not what you are experiencing.

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had to do this myself the other day. Don't skip broadhead tuning your bow. Using a mechanical is just putting a band aid on a broken leg. Even mechanicals will work better out of a broadhead tuned bow. You are losing momentum and penetration by not properly tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk