why?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by happyhunter, Aug 15, 2016.

1. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why are people so caught up on the age of a buck? Because of all the TV shows talking about only taking mature deer? I live in the real world, and few deer where I hunt make it beyond 3.5. When I see a buck, the last thing I'm thinking about is how old is he. If his head gear turns my crank, I'm shooting. In gun season, I know that about 80% of the deer I let walk are going to be seen by someone else, shortly.... Most of those guys shoot the first set of antlers they see.

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your looking for justification of you actions. Good luck with that.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think most people (at least here) will tell you to shoot what makes you happy.

As far as age considerations for the rest of us, I imagine (speaking for myself) most folks concerned with age just don't want to take a young buck before he has a chance to express his full potential. Everyone has different circumstances, you'll have to judge yours for yourself and not be concerned with what others practice. There are good arguments both ways.

4. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You have to shoot what makes you happy. If that's a spike or a 5 year old buck, by all means drop that string on him! As for myself I am fortunate enough that I have private land to hunt and pretty good neighbors, so passing a 3 year old is what I try to do. I like the challenge of shooting older deer. They don't act the same way as younger deer and over the years its interesting to watch how these bucks grow up and what their personalities are. You have to set your expectations realistically too. If everyone around is shooting younger deer holding out for a fully mature deer doesn't make sense. You will go nuts and hunting won't be enjoyable.

5. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never understood the antler hype...

Yes, once in a lifetime trophy is a must for every hunter.

Personally, i just care about good meat and a fair hunt.

6. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL. I don't need, nor ask, for justification for anything.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, sure sounds that way from your rant. You ask a question then answer it yourself. All with the hopes that others will agree with you. Classic self validation.

8. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have only shot 3 bucks in the last 10 years. I don't shoot small bucks.... But, when a buck makes an appearance, the last thing I'm thinking is "how old is he?" If he's a good buck, and I've already declared he is on the list, I'm shooting him.....

9. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with trial on this one.
    Go ahead and shoot whatever makes you happy, but why pass judgement on those who hunt by a different philosophy?
    As for me, I like to be surrounded by big bucks, and that means letting them reach maturity. I also feel a certain amount of satisfaction from shooting a mature buck, as apposed to a bigger, younger buck.
    Why? Simply because they are harder to kill, and I enjoy the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see anyone on this site criticizing anyone for killing young deer. Actually those that I know who have set the bar high for themselves still congratulate most everyone regardless of the size or age of their harvest. It's about what makes you feel accomplished as a hunter, not a size or score. On the same note, alot of these guys are blessed to live in great deer habitat in Big Buck states on strictly managed ground. You can't blame them for wanting to reap the fruits of their hard labor, time, and $. I live in great deer habitat in Illinois and there are really big bucks but I lack the time to put into the properties I hunt. So I'm good with a nice 3.5 or older. Why? because I've killed tons of normal 3.5 and younger and only a handful of 4.5 and older cause they are harder to kill! It's called challenging yourself. My uncles private lease 20 miles from me is strictly managed and has a 150" minimum. On the opposite side I have friends who say "I hunt for meat" " if it's brown it's down" and my favorite " I hope I didn't forget my brown shoe polish to cover the spots" To each their own!

11. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    See my last post.... The deer I shot last year was aged at 6.5. You're missing my point, completely.

12. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It wasn't a rant. Look through the threads on here. Time after time, the question is how old? My point is, who cares? If the buck is big enough to make you happy, shoot him.... Even young hunters ask the question..... If the buck makes you happy, shoot him. That's my point.

13. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, then. I'll simplify, so you can hopefully understand..

No. Because I like killing big deer. Also, I think it's really difficult to kill older, wiser bucks, which give me more satisfaction.

Better? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If that makes you happy, go for it. If you see a buck that is as big as anything you've ever killed, but he is young, are you letting him walk?

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess the question could be asked in return why are hunters so dead set on filling a buck tag that they'd shoot a young buck that has a little set of antlers? The antlers are the only thing that makes a buck special as opposed to a doe. Is it just because they spent money on the buck tag or is it so they can brag that they filled their tag?

I see it the other way around, the buck tag is special because it gives me a chance at a wall hanging trophy so I don't want to burn the tag on a young buck that could have made a 30%+ jump if he was another year older. If I want venison, there are a million does and I have a pocket full of doe tags every year. If I'm going to dedicate the time and expense of hunting a buck, I want to take the best all around trophy I can imagine within realistic limits. It's that last part, " within realistic limits" that's different for everyone. It's kind of a parallel with the adage "first world problems" in that a "trophy" is relative to a persons circumstances.
    Why even worry about why people are caught up in buck age? It is what it is, if that's unrelatable to someone then why worry about it?

16. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I must be horrible at expressing my point... I see young hunters, particularly new hunters, worried about if the buck they have on camera is mature or not. They're worried about shooting a buck that isn't mature, many that haven't even killed a buck yet.... That's what I'm talking about. If that buck makes you happy, shoot him. I'm not talking about me. I see it here, and on every other hunting site I play around on. If your best buck is a 4 point, shoot that 6 point if it makes you happy. If your best buck is 110, kill that next 110. My best buck was 140 and change. My best bow buck was 130 and change, in velvet. I'd shoot a 130 with a bow tomorrow given the chance. The buck I killed last year won't score much at all, but he was an old deer with a gnarly and very unique rack.

17. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And to your point, there are those that are just concerned with filling that buck tag, which I don't understand at all..... A doe is much better on the table..

18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I was on a managed farm and I saw a 130" or 140" and knew he was only 2.5.... you're dang right I would let him go. Cause those are the deer that have the potential to hit 200" Why rob yourself of that opportunity? It takes more discipline and determination and patience to place standards. I think it builds character in one as a hunter.

19. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, but how many people hunt places like that? I sure don't, and I'm going to shoot at the next 140 I see. I don't think that drop tine or double main beam buck I posted will score 140, but I'll shoot either of them given the chance...

20. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no idea what caliber deer you've killed... But, if you see a buck that is bigger than anything you've ever killed, you're going to let him walk?