Buying land

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by sethf11, Jul 22, 2016.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been working the wife and finally have her on board with the idea of buying land.

Our current living situation is a really nice house in a neighborhood. We are very lucky and have a very nice set up. The neighborhood is great and great for our kids (6 and 3). Great place to grow up. Great neighbors and very very peaceful.

Any rate, We have a really nice plan in place with our retirements, deferred comp and Roth IRA. I can retire in 10 years (I'm 36) and her in 21 (she is 34). Maybe a few more for me but that's when I will be eligible.

So our plan is to sell the house when kids are gone and build the "retirement home" on plenty of land.

So I'm at the stage of having her interested in picking up the land now and holding it until we are ready and at that stage down the road.

Looking for 50 acres or so. Something nice for hunting now then to build a house on and continue to improve and hunt on. Double benefit.

I'm in NY state by the way. Now just to get her to want to buy a farm set up. Lol.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DIRT!

They just aren't making any more of it.

I've never regretted buying the land that we have.

3. jdb_77

jdb_77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is a great plan. The wife and I are thinking the same thing. Good luck in your future investment.

4. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wife and I returned late last month from a 6,700 mile RV road trip...looking at land in S. Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. 100 to 200 acre parcels are fairly plentiful, and the prices are very reasonable. We're both retired, and will make the move sometime within the next year or so. Best of luck with your plan.

Bill

5. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is my dream, I'm in a very similar situation. I have a house with decent property two kids (9 and 4) and can retire in 7 years (I'm 35) but I will probably work until my kids are out of the house. I definitely can't afford property yet but hopefully down the road. Definitely do it if you can afford it you can never go wrong with buying real estate. Im torn on leaving New York though and getting some property in someplace like Kentucky. I feel like money goes so much farther there. New York real estate is so pricey and we don't produce the quality of deer that those other states do. Any thoughts on leaving the state?

6. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought bought a small camp and small land in western ny. Stueben county. However it opened up several hundred acres to us after meeting some landowners. So we got the hunting element without having to buy the land. Its not the same as your own land but being a poor lad its the best I candu. I'm jealous of you guys retiring at 42 rob nicholson and 46 sethf11. I'm up to 60 with no chance of retirement till I'm 6ft. down

7. Rob Nicholson

Dislikes Received:
    That's great. Steuben county is the best county in New York for whitetail deer. Working that hard you definitely deserve it!

8. adkhunter1590

adkhunter1590 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 26 with projected retirement around 38...maybe earlier if things go my way. I hope to be out of NY and out in either Iowa or Kansas on a several hundred acre farm when I retire. Use the farm to cover most expenses and maybe get into selling a hunt or two a year to cover my hunting toy costs. Land is too expensive in NY and taxes here are stupid high. Not worth it to stay here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Rob Nicholson

Dislikes Received:
  10. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need to move to NY I guess. How in the world are you guys able to retire in you late 40's?
    We bought our place a year and a half ago. Still close to our parents and close to work. We are able to farm part of it, food plots on parts of it and still enjoy the whole thing!!

Good Luck guys!!

11. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like cops prob. Who else could retire that early? Whatever it is God bless em

12. sethallphin

sethallphin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 28 now and will be retired in 10 and working on a second career. My dad and I are going on on 200 acres here in 5 years and when I get out I will be building a tiny house on it as that is what the wife wants.

13. Rob Nicholson

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to buy a farm that is already working, as I have no clue how to actually farm lol.

14. joe_bow

joe_bow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of cheap land north just northwest of the Catskills. Thats where I have looked for land. I hear there is good fishing there as well.

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on retiring so stinking young but that is crazy!