Feeder Question

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by BigHackAttack, Jun 26, 2016.

1. BigHackAttack

BigHackAttack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, this is a question for guys that use feeders? During the summer, when other sources of food is plentiful, do you stop using your feeders? I have noticed on my trail cameras, the deer are becoming more scarce at the feeder. My feeder is on the edge of a bean field and I'm SURE they are browsing in the field.

Any thoughts?

BHA
    BigHackAttack

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They will slack off quite a bit once crops are plentiful. They will still come by, but not as often.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why drive all the way across town when you have a great restaurant right next door?

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just browse through, not the main attraction. Especially when acorns start falling.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have our feeder in a very secluded thick part of our property and what we found is that deer actually started bedding near the feeder. One interesting thing though, most of the deer that visit the feeder are yearling-2 year olds. The mature deer visit much less frequently. We typically stock it with corn but every other month I put in a bag or 2 of high protein deer feed. The frequency that deer visit our feeder highly depends on our honey hole food plot and the the surrounding farms, since our area is mostly woods, our feeder is a steady and reliable year round food source so I consider our situation different than yours.

6. SkyThumper

SkyThumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We don't have many places where crops are grown around here, but the woods are thick so basically there's food every where for them.. I stop the feeder in spring about the time the woods flushes back out..then I start back late summer( Aug) a month before our bow season starts.. That gives them time to find it and start occasionally visiting on a regular basis.

7. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here, on my property, i feed year round. This due to the fact that i hunt hogs during most of the off-season. Not much farming in my area any more, but so it seems the deer siting are still constant. But like Spear said "Tne interesting thing though, most of the deer that visit the feeder are yearling-2 year olds. The mature deer visit much less frequently."

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feed year round and the amount of feed is less than half of what they go thru in the winter. The deer numbers go down when the fawns are born and then go back up once the fawns are 3 weeks old or so.