Predicting movement

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by woodbry, Jun 17, 2016.

1. woodbry

woodbry Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How can you more accurately predict where deer will be early in the morning? I hunt public land and want to get into my tree stand (climbing stand) before any deer have enetered the area so that they dont spook. How can i figure out where they are moving to and when?

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What does the area you are hunting look like? Ag fields? Hardwoods?

I personally don't hunt mornings until mid to late October... But early season set up between their bedding and food. Easier said than done... But with some scouting and finding their travel routes you can make it work.

3. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best way I have found to potentially sit in the right place is spending a lot of time in the woods over many years learning all I can about the habits of deer along with past experiences . For the most part I avoid public land but if I am, deer can show up anytime depending on location, time of the season, or pressure.

4. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious, why do you not hunt mornings until late October? Is it to keep from ruining prime spots or something else?

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ruining prime spots is one reason.

Another is just because I really don't have faith in mornings on my property. No good way to access the property without blowing through the ag fields. Now that I think of it I did hunt mornings pretty much all last October. I've just never had good sightings.

6. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some of my best hunts have been a pinch point in the AM. My hunt or not for any stand starts with the wind then the rest of the weather factors. I look at the moon times and the barametric pressure it all adds to a good guess of the movement. :lmao:

7. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hunt mornings unless my cameras tell me to hunt mornings. I also don't hunt my bigger deer till I have pictures telling me to.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boot time. You have to get out there and find out where they are moving through and to. Public land can be even more difficult if there is any extra pressure, the deer that you have patterned can/will change their routine immediately.