The perfect mineral site.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering how you guys set up your successful sites. I was thinking of making one of those that end up being ate it so much it turns into a water hole. I was thinking putting some of that powdery kind that comes in the bag, then something like a trophy rock, then top all that off with some of the slimy kind on the rock and around it. Sounds like it should bring them in pretty good! I'd like to hear yalls thoughts and feedback of the prefect mineral site

2. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I make my own, using stock salt, di-cal phosphate, and I think trace salt. It works awesome, but it takes a few years to really establish any kind of mineral site.

Monster Raxx also makes a good mineral you can buy.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dig up the ground a little, dump a bag of Monster Raxx. Done.

You don't need three different products.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I took a white oak block and drilled a bunch of 7/8" holes in it the deer licked the mineral off the top, a year later the mineral has absorbed enough into the wood that the deer are gnawing at the wood on the sides. I have the mineral stump right by the feeders so the deer have no problem finding it and they do like a little mineral with their dinner. Also another vote for monster raxx it by design is benificial for a deers needs rather than a simple junk food attractant that you see pushed by tv hunters and magazines.

5. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could be as many different ways as there are opinions. I noticed some on this thread only want to use 1 product and that's OK. I however respectfully disagree. I use 3, sometimes 4 different products at a mineral site. My main product is something called Blaze by RackStacker....it's a Canadian product developed by an animal nutritionalist. This is in powder form that I spread across decaying logs....the deer end up eating the wood. The next product I use is Acorn rage by WGI. I use this to replenish sites when I return to check trailcams. Sure , I believe it's glorified salt but the deer seem to love the aroma. The last is deer Cocaine in liquid form. Again, glorified salt. The deer Coke is kinda the "junk food" of minerals but they love it and when the time hits when they need the quality stuff like Blaze, it's there for them.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where do you get Monster Raxx? I did a quick Search and only found links to forums and YouTube Videos

7. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Hit up Monster Raxx on this forum. Tom will set you up. In less than three weeks the deer turned my sites into deep holes in the ground with only that product. Why give them crappy salt and make them eat wood. Do them a favor and give them something they like, AND is good for them.

8. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are better choices than I'm seeing here. Most of the stuff are attractants anyway, not enough content in whats really beneficial. Personally I don't fool with minerals although I've researched the subject extensively. There's a good thread over at the Leatherwall Click on Bowsite, look for the thread "mineral supplements"

9. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been using big 6 salt an minerals with great results.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

10. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    dont want to be that guy but that stuff is about 99% salt not much mineral try mixing it about 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 if you want higher salt content with pasture mineral (i get the stuff with highest calcium & phosphorous content) to get higher calcium and phosphorous to have more mineral. i personally do 3 lb of pasture mineral to 1lb of trace and it has worked great for me

11. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh wow I was recommended it and it has worked so far but before I put the big 6 Back out I had a more mineral based block I like it because it last forever and the constantly go after it

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

12. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Best site I have started on a old stump, the minerals soaked into the wood, like others have said, and the deer will just eat the wood. I use a mineral called Pops Loose Moose along with a trophy rock. I have also used Monster Raxx and Lucky Buck with similar trail cam results. Just avoid salts and look out for calcium chlorides, cause its salt!

13. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't doubt it i used to do the same thing except for with a trophy rock (also about 98% salt), salt is like candy for deer. However after I started mixing it to better supplement i noticed pictures earlier and later into the year with more frequent visits and it is still costs me around the same 7-8 for 50 lbs.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You must ask yourself if you want a salt lick or a mineral site. There is a large measurable difference between the two. Not saying either one is wrong or right...but I get tired of folks with salt licks saying they have mineral sites.

Trophy Rock, C'mere Deer and many if not most things that are said to be minerals have less than 10% (some less than 2%) of their make up be anything but salt. Salt will attract deer no doubt though.

I use Monsterraxx and desperately need some new as our sites are getting destroyed.

15. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a stumper too. I'll put just about anything on this log and the deer devour it. Bedding and water are all within 50 yards of this site.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spot on as always.

Over the years, I have used about everything. Salt block, stock salt, trace mineral, C'mere Deer, Trophy Rock, Deer Cain, Evolved Harvest Molasses and so on and so on. They all attracted deer and in my uneducated way, I felt like I was really helping the deer. Over time I've learned more and evolved as a hunter. One of those ways is that I have studied a fair amount about minerals and how they are used by deer. Once I had educated myself, I set out to find a mineral product that fell more in line with my goals of increasing the health and quality of my herd. There are really very few options out there that have the right combination of minerals in the proper proportions to really influence the deer's health.

I have been using Monster Raxx for several years now and have seen some quality results in both bucks and does. My deer just look very healthy. Bucks seem to be carrying good mass even at younger ages and I have very few bucks with busted up racks. Are minerals the reason, who knows. I can't say for sure but I do believe they have played a large role.

17. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rec'd our Monster Raxx from Tom last week.
    Great to deal with Skywalker, Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

18. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is there a proper way to start up a mineral site? I'm going to search in a minute..

I have tried to start a couple here in Maine in the past and they didn't seem to do much??

19. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Just take a spade and dig up the ground a little in about a two foot circle and dump the mineral on the ground and mix it in a bit. To refresh, just dump more mineral in the same site with zero prep.

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To add to what Fletch said. I've had mixed results when the soil is very "thin" or drains extremely fast. Other spots that have some clay or more a mud style when wet get BLASTED especially after a rain.