Kentucky Public Land

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by POWERHAWK_11, Feb 18, 2016.

1. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So this upcoming year my filming buddy and I are going to go down to Kentucky for the archery opener. From reading the season dates it looks like the archery opener is the first weekend of September and opens on a Saturday. So that would put this years opener on September 3rd (Saturday). I do not have class on Labor day and he took off Friday the 2nd and he doesn't have to teach on Labor day either. So we are going to turn it into a four day weekend and try and kill a velvet buck. I was looking for some information about public ground from guys that have hunted public ground down there or live in KY just to start looking for this fall? Any information will be of help.
    Thanks
    Aaron

2. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where in Ky?

3. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Middle of the state preferably. Out of the mountains and more into the farmland. The one WMA I was looking at (Miller Welch WMA I think) was in Harrison county. I looked at the deer kills from archery this year and it was 236. Is that a high or low number? Also is early season hunting big in KY?

4. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not familiar with that one. Most lakes have public land and some good deer. There are quite a few early season bow hunters.

5. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Opening weekend of bow season in Kentucky is a mad house. Most of the big velvet bucks are shot over corn piles, illegal on wma's. I'm not going to recommend any particular place, but my advise is to head down here and scout as much as you can and be prepared to sit all day and fight the crowds.

Miller Welch is in Madison county south of Lexington and to my understanding is only open to hunting on certain days of the week. You'll have to check the regs. If you do go to Miller Welch fair warning, you will be there with a ton of dove hunters because they have a lot of public fields.

6. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah we are going to scout for sure. We are planning on making at least two weekend trips down over the summer just to check out some areas. What are the farmers as a whole like down there? If you knock on their door and ask to hunt would most of them let you or do they do a lot of hunting too?

7. happyhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Much of the land is leased... Good luck to you. Many of the WMA's border farm country, and most do not allow vehicles. If you've got a boat, or are willing to hike a good way, you can get away from a lot of the crowd, and hunt near the crops.

8. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You used to be able to knock on doors and get spots to hunt but that rare anymore. Most everything is leased out now. Not saying someone won't get lucky, but don't get your hopes up.

Honestly. If you want to kill a velvet buck in video shell out some $$$$ for a lease, get a corn pile going, and run cameras on it all summer. That's going to be your best shot at a velvet deer.

9. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's all who you know on private land. Are you trying to kill any velvet buck or a big one? It will probably be HOT and lots of mosquitoes.

10. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Anything legal. Neither of us have killed a velvet buck so we wanted to do it and Kentucky is the closest state with an early enough season to allow us to do that

11. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  12. Duece Ranch

Duece Ranch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you found a spot?

13. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good deer come outta Green River WMA. As far as early season bow hunters it doesn't seem to get overwhelmed. Good crop areas throughout it. It's all archery except for a quota hunt every year.

14. Duece Ranch

Dislikes Received:
    Power hawk did you get a spot, mine backs up to Daniel Boone, starting a small Outfitter not pricey.

15. POWERHAWK_11

Dislikes Received:
    Actually yes. A member on here was gracious enough to offer some of his spots to us. Thanks for the offer.

16. Duece Ranch

Dislikes Received:
    Ok great.