Best scenario to put meat in the freezer?- deer management

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dfal, Jan 24, 2016.

1. dfal

dfal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious because I have heard a lot of different theories and I am wondering what you guys think or what you guys do if you don't bag that big buck or when you want meat in the freezer during the season.

1.) I believe the best scenario is having a big old single doe walk by the stand.

2.) Another scenario is having a doe and a doe fawn come by. Now some people say shoot the doe because there is more meat, but is that really killing the fawn to do you guys think, in places with harsher winters at least?
    3.) Some people will say to shoot the fawn because the doe will be able to survive on its own while the fawn may not make it either way. I personally have not been able to bring myself to ever shoot a fawn.

4.) A doe and a button buck. People say the doe will kick the button buck out of the area, so by shooting the doe the button buck has a better chance of staying in the area, if it survives of course?

5.) A doe and two fawns. Now here if you shoot the doe, the two fawns may have each other to rely on, or maybe both not make it through the winter so it is like killing three deer but not getting the meat?
    6.) Or the alternative is shooting one of the fawns.

7.) Also, there is shooting a smaller buck that you wouldn't normally shoot. Some people say they rather shoot a buck no matter what the size than a doe, because a different buck will be able to breed that doe still.

You can also bite the bullet and not tag a deer if a scenario you like doesn't present itself. I am sure I missed some scenarios, but I am curious to see what you guys think is best for deer management in general, and what you think about the logic behind each of these scenarios or what you would do? I have heard different things from different people and that is some of what I put on here.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would be conflicted because I do love venison but I hate shooting does. Only a starving man should shoot a fawn.

3. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think the baby deer are so tasty. I mean, not as good as Cecil the lion, but they are so tender. I would shoot them both if the deer herd was up and I needed meat in the freezer. I don't understand how people can eat veal and gripe about shooting a yearling. Yes there is less meat but they are good eating.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brad I don't kill the veal. I also do not begrudge any hunter that shoots a doe, and a fawn is ok when you are starting out but heck we bow hunt for the challenge a fawn is the easiest of all deer to shoot. I only hold myself to my standards.

5. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would rather shoot a cull buck for meat and let a big racked buck walk so he can breed. How many trophy heads can you mount and display? i wish more hunters in my area thought this way.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I figure with some rearranging I have room for four more.:lol:

7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i've shot truckloads of fawns and have zero regrets.
    a lone yearling buck is about as easy as a fawn

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I'm still waiting to have a big racked buck in front of me!

9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a doe if I need/want meat and a buck hasn't presented the opportunity.

10. revwilder

revwilder Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in KY. I only get to take one buck per season. I want that deer to be a good one. If I want meat I will shoot any single doe anytime. A doe with fawn or a doe fawn after Nov. 1 when the spots are gone since they can survive on their own. I've shot momma doe only to see her yearlings later in the season very healthy. The deer density is high. The health of the herd is good, so meat is meat. I do not kill button bucks, I want them to grow into monsters. I do not shoot young bucks for the same reason. I do not expect anyone to agree and I do not expect anyone to follow.

Archery is my 4th love

11. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd guess about the only time I would pass is involving spots or where its just a really small one.
    But I really only hunt in areas close to populations so we have that whole car vs deer going on.
    Or if I get drawn for a managed hunt which the purpose is to remove deer.
    Horns or no horns makes no real difference to me, but I most assuredly think the younger ones taste better.

12. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wait for that single doe or group of does to walk through and pop one of them

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to access the herd and go from there. Try to shoot big old bucks for wall and a 2 or 3 yr old does for freezer. But it doesn't always work out that way

14. PushmatahaHunter

PushmatahaHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a large doe on Oct 3rd 2007 she had twin button bucks these two deer stayed on my property for the next 3 years until my niece shot one during the youth season in 2010. The last picture I have of the other was a week later during our muzzleloader season I assume a neighbor got him because I haven't seen him or got a picture sense. I don't believe all button bucks stay in the area they are born if there doe is killed but it certainly was the case in this instance. I live on this 410 acre property and run trail cams all year so I'm certain of what I saw and had a special interest in these two deer. During the three years of pictures with antler growth the twins had identical antlers all three years and they hung out together most of the year (in the same general there mom raised them).

From this experience I prefer to shoot a doe with a button buck fawn but I'll shoot any doe with or without a fawn if I'm in the mood. I don't like shooting fawns, because I'm afraid it could be a button buck but I will if I can make sure it's not a button buck. Our season opens October 1st and I believe by then fawns are capable of taking care of themselves if there doe is killed. I love shooting does I try and kill 2-3 a year one during early season one during late season and another usually sneaks in during rifle or muzzleloader season. The last thing I would do is shoot a smaller buck over any doe if meat was my goal.

I should also add that where I hunt we don't have a winter die off(its 56 degrees right now) sometimes we go a whole winter with it snowing only once or twice and usually it's gone within a day.

15. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I too live in Ky, and we only get one buck. I don't fill my buck tag very often, about every 3rd year. I have and will shoot a doe with a fawn if the fawn doesn't have spots. I shot one this year in mid November. I have cams pics of the fawn 6 weeks later. Those fawns will be fine.

16. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your just putting meat in the freezer shoot whatever makes you happy.

I understand people not wanting to shoot young ones, but after their off the tit they will be just fine on their own.

If you start over thinking the whole thing you'll end up with an empty freezer.

17. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    #4 would be my pic only if the population can support it !!!