minerals

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by happyhunter, Jan 19, 2016.

1. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Time to kick up the mineral licks is just around the corner. What are your favorite minerals and why?

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use MonsterRaxx and I really like it a lot. It brings deer in really quickly and they come very often. When I start a mineral site using MonsterRaxx, deer hit it the same night. It has contributed to many deer making tremendous gains in antler growth on both properties I use it on. The aroma of it is amazing. It has a lot of ingredients that deer (bucks, does and fawn) need for their overall health.

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use Lucky Buck and Pops Loose Moose, Will be trying my own mix this year.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using Monster Raxx for several season with excellent results.

5. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used lucky buck for years with very good results...but last year I started transitioning to 30-06+ protein and will be using it exclusively this year. The ratio of mineral to salt by weight is very good, & I like the added protein it has also.

6. quadlee

quadlee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use mineral mine, they love it.

7. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I make my own and also have the deer hit it the same night. at the end of summer i'll have a 3 foot circle dug down about 16" or so. I put down 5 gallons each time. one of those little bags from wally world just doesn't cut it. the more you put down the better your results will last for a longer period of time.

8. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ive noticed that a majority of "mineral" is well over 90% salt. so i just make my own to get more calcium and phosphorus the main components of antlers. if i would buy one over the counter it would be monster raxx though they seem to have a lot lower salt and content than others with more of the good stuff haha.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another vote for Monster Raxx.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, salt is really only an attractant. Deer do need salt in their diet, and they do crave it, but they don't need it in the crazy high quantities that most mineral supplements have. When purchasing a mineral you need to ask yourself why you are putting it out. Are you trying to help improve the overall health of the deer population in your area, or are you trying to just attract deer to a certain spot. If you are trying to improve the health of the deer herd, then a high salt content mineral is really not doing the deer any good as their body will only absorb so much, the rest is just waste.

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to Monster Raxx a couple of years ago after meeting Tom at the Iowa Deer Classic. It flat out works. I have made mineral sites for 10 years and have tried a lot of different products. I have never had anything work as well. I had a target buck this last season that was hanging out in an area that did not have a mineral site. I went in there in July with ONE small bag of Monster Raxx and a shovel and made a new site and hung a camera. Less than 5 hours later, I had multiple pictures of the target buck and several others. It does not take a huge amount of product to do the trick. Here are the photos from that site;

IMAG0004.jpg IMAG0074.jpg 20151107_121536.jpg

I let the camera sit for a week and the card was full after three days. I switched out the camera to a Covert that would hold a bigger card so I wouldn't miss anymore photos. lol

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use it but Monster Raxx seems okay, hard to argue with the results and testimonials it gets here. I just can't afford it for the amounts I put out over a year so I make my own from range mineral, salt and Di-cal phosphate and use Trophy Rocks for a more steady and available supplement. This is a site I set up this past spring. I poured my mix in it and set a trophy rock in it. First pic is at fall refresh after a spring start and second pic is pretty recent. It's pretty decent when they are trying to get to it through snow, ice and a foot of water.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tried a mix the last couple of years covey that I had the local coop mix for me. It included di-cal. I don't know what it was about it but I couldn't get a deer use it anywhere I put it out. I was extremely frustrated after all the time I had put in to getting the mix to where I wanted it. The difference is I didn't put a Trophy Rock in the middle of it.
    I know you are doing more of these in a bigger area. Cost is definitely an issue.

14. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is that this years buck fletch?
    That is a nice heavy racked buck!! Congrats

15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is. Grossed 171. Thanks!

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really? Odd...well deer in different areas I guess. I just pour it and mix it in buckets and dump it out and deer hit it like candy. I've heard that sort of story about every mix and mineral going though, including Monster Raxx from several people. I think it's just odd circumstances. I didn't used to use the trophy rocks and had the same results I have now, just started using them because the landlord and Grant Woods likes them. I do like that they keep a solid form on top of the ground though. It's nice when the resulting hole gets full of water to still have a rock there. There's one just out of frame in the pics I posted, the deer rolled it out of frame, lol. I don't even have a feeder at that spot in the pics, just a mineral lick and deer hit it 24/7 but there is about 90 acres of crop 360 degrees around that spot. They like to hit the mineral going in to eat and then hit it again coming out.

17. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's good to know... I have a spot in mind on my property that would work perfect for this.

18. Ravenhunter

Ravenhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Making my own mix of stock salt, trace minerals, Di calcium and Mono Cal plus dried molasses. Looking forward to see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer mineral

3) 50 lb pasture mineral
    1) 50 lb trace mineral
    1) 50 lb dried mollasis
    1) 50 lb di-cal

This is the mix that I use get 300 lb for about
    $80 and use it all in a year

20. Ravenhunter