Stand height

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by steelrain89, Dec 14, 2015.

1. steelrain89

steelrain89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Like the title says i have heard so many times on what people consider proper or optimal stand height, and i feel my 12-15 ft. Isnt cutting it and i need to get over my height issues... so what is everyone's idea of most efficient height to place a stand...

2. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the best placement depends on the area you are hunting. I know some large open areas where you don't have any cover around you. Solution is to go high. 20+ feet. Other are areas you can cut out a hole in a pine tree and be 15 feet and no one would know you are there.

If you are not comfortable with heights, stay low and find some cover. It's not fun falling 20ft down.

3. PSEHunter79

PSEHunter79 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have to agree with the above, 20 feet is the norm. One thing that may help your heights issue is perhaps a better harness with a lifeline, descender so if you do fall, instead of dangling from a harness, you'll be able to lower yourself to the ground..

Back to height, you'll have hunters tell you both.. you'll hear 10 feet is fine regardless of surroundings and than you'll here 20+ only..

old timer told me to take a swigs of blackberry brandy to calm the nerves..lol you'll go up without to much worry..

Question are you seeing deer and getting busted? or are you not even seeing deer? stand height may not be the issue.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stand height for me is determined a lot by terrain and cover. There are plenty of times that I'm at 15' and am just fine. I've been at 25' when I was probably to low. Comfort factor is a very important factor. Be sure and spend enough on your stand to feel confident that it isn't going anywhere. Most importantly, get a harness system that fits you correctly, you are comfortable with it and that you can maneuver in easily. I'm a house painter and climb ladders for a living, daily and yet being up in the air on a stand is still a different feeling. I also try to use my stands as much as I can throughout the year so that I'm familiar with the feeling of being up there and shooting from any position on the stand.

5. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am very afraid of heights and the first day of the season is pretty scary when I first get in my stand. I usually set mine up 18-19 feet but I have a ladder stand that's only 13.5 feet and this season I had it in a tree with minimal cover due to my lack of options because of loggers and I shot my first deer of it. They key is not to move until you don't have any eyes on you and you should be just fine.

6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Public land that I hunt demands hunting higher up, these deer are wise. I don't hunt under 20' no matter what the terrain. I'm usually at 25' and have one spot where I go to 30'. Plenty of height with the right wind, you're golden.

7. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't imagine myself going 30 feet up. I'd need to bring an extra pair of underwear if I looked down :lol:

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will go as high as I can as long as the trunk of the tree is wider than my shoulders. 21 feet.

9. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been as high as 30', its a weird feeling.
    Another foot or two and I'd of had to make a bigger hoist line.
    My average now is about 18-20.
    I go to a craft store and make up some artificial branches and such for cover.

10. jasond02

jasond02 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is a good question I have also wondered if my 15ft stand wasn't high enough. I'm not real fond of heights either especially with a swaying tree but I have to agree with PSEhunter my new full body harness makes me feel way more relaxed. A lot better than those chest straps I used when I first started hunting.

11. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    The higher that you go definitely will effect your shot angle and arrow point of impact
    so definitely practice shooting at whatever height you plan on being at.

12. steelrain89

steelrain89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input guys to answer one question was my big issue is movement. I try to set up in pines but i have a terrible back so sitting longer than 2 hours and i start to squirm alot, and when i do a damn deer always sneaks behind and catches me, the other issue is when i think its good wind...the river and ridges near me must make the wind swirl cause i always seem to get busted.

13. PSEHunter79

Dislikes Received:
    always pack the tp..imagine wiping that high? :lol:

14. elkguide

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't hunting fun?!?!

15. steelrain89

steelrain89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lol dont even get me on forgetting tp! That can ruin any hunt

16. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    18-20 is average for me. That being said I killed my biggest buck to date last season maybe 15 ft up a maple tree. I also killed a buck about 20 years ago out of a tree stand about 4 ft high. I forgot my steps and my buddy was going to do a bow drive of a small woodlot for me.

17. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm usually around 20'. Been as high as 30' and low as 12'. I need to be in the cover. I just can't set still.

18. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've always hunted hight, 20 plus feet. Recently I changed my tune, I try to hunt as low as the cover allows. I also am hunting thicker and thicker cover which makes lower better, so may be the natural progression .

19. PSEHunter79

Dislikes Received:

Curious what kinda cover your finding and using this late in the year? All the trees near me are bare pretty much.

20. PSEHunter79

Dislikes Received:

hahaha man you have no idea... the other day went out to play with a new treestand..stomach was rumbling a bit, made sure to take the tp from the truck on the walk in, always keep a roll in the truck.