hunting scrapes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by hunttoeat, Oct 25, 2015.

1. hunttoeat

hunttoeat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in southern Maine and hunting whitetails which is highly pressured. I was wondering if any of you guys out there have had any success hunting mock scrapes. And if so high frequently would you visit the scrapes to refresh and what was your access to the scrapes like? ( cleared path or walk to the woods) Secondly do Whitetail Does paw up the ground of scrapes as well as bucks? Thanks guys and advice or help is greatly appreciated!

2. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mock scrapes are kinda of hit and miss, Ive made some that get tore up and have put some down that hardly had any visits if any at all. I guess it comes down to the spot the scrape is placed and the population of deer in that area ,IMO hunting field edge scrapes are a waste of time 99% of the time. And yes does do visit the scrapes but i havent seen any of them actually working the scrape just smelling the licking branches. I usually will put a cam on a scrape and go off of that to see if the spot is worth hunting over. Scrapes if you find the right ones or places to put mock scrapes can be a great tool to inventory your bucks in the area.

3. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    99 percent of all scrapes are worked at night. Sometimes you can catch them in daylight freshening them after a rain.

4. Rutter

Rutter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bear - that's not true at all. Where are your facts on this. My cameras and plenty of others can prove that false. Maybe field edge scrapes are more at night, but even that isn't 99%. Hunttoeat--read shed's report on mock scrapes at the top of the deer hunting forum. Some of the best info you can get. It's o. The same page you just posted on