Shooting deer is different that targets

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Jpeeples, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't laugh :) My draw weight is 60 lbs. I can target shoot for an hour with no problem. Yesterday evening I went to draw on a deer for my first ever bow kill. But when I got my string about halfway back, I couldn't finish drawing my string without the help of my head. :) As I was trying to aim, I started shaking and could barely aim the dang thing. I know I should not have released my arrow because I could have made a terrible shot. Luckily I missed out right and did not wound the deer. Not a drop of blood or hair anywhere.

I have hunted deer all my life with a rifle so I am an experienced hunter, but not with a bow. I have practiced sitting down in my blind with no problems, in fact I surprised my self at my shots. Not bragging, but just surprised at how well I can hit the target.

My question, could the fact that my arms felt like spaghetti noodles way over cooked and felt like I had the strength of a 2 year old be chalked up to buck fever maybe due to drawing back for the first time on a deer? I am not even sure I was breathing lol. Any suggestions to overcome this is welcome.. Thanks

2. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've also been gun hunting for many years. Last season was my first archery season. I had a nice 6 point come in, stop broad side at 15 yards. I could NOT draw my bow either. I was so dang excited and wound up. It was like my brain literally shut off and quit working when I saw this deer coming to me.

After this deer walked away, I realized I didn't have my bow arm extended and was trying to pull the string and push the riser!

The only way I can think to over come this is with experience. I definitely learned from my experience and hoping I don't do that again!

3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Zanex, haha. That's bowhunting man, that's what keeps everyone coming back. You just need to control breathing and keep telling yourself to calm down. What I do is just repeat what I do in my head when I target practice. Draw back, anchor, aim, control breathing and release. As far as excitement archery trumps guns all day long. Don't get me wrong I still gun hunt, but if all goes well my tag is filled in archery and I go to hang out with my dad.

4. cyokley40

cyokley40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Haha!!! Man this just made my freagin day. Welcome to the wonderful world of archery my friend. Just experience man. I'm 29 and shot my first bow kill at 11. A deer walks out on me tomorrow and I still have to remind my self to breathe. You'll calm down some but never completely

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If i was ever calm and didnt about lose my sh!t for an entire bow killing of a deer..... i would take up building model airplanes or something cheaper. :lol: Thats what we're addicted to! Just glad my drug of choice is this instead of all the other alternatives out there. It doesnt matter if its a doe i still get weak in the knees. And i havent killed an extreme amount of deer with a bow but ive taken quite a few.

6. Jpeeples

Jpeeples Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to make a few laugh this morning. It is very well possible that I did not have my arm extended and I probably held my breath. Guess I will keep practicing.. thanks.

7. marshbanks12

marshbanks12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once I determine a deer is big enough to shoot I don't look at it anymore, I kind of watch it out of the corner of my eye and then when I draw all I focus on is the area I want to hit. You can admire the deer once it's in the back of your truck. I have noticed that if I stare it down 1. I get all worked up and overthink everything and 2. I feel like the deer sense something staring at them and get jumpy. Maybe 2 isn't true and is all in my head but that's just what I do

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also believe #2 has merit. I can generally feel when I'm being watched and I think a lot of people can...I think deer are the same way.
    As far as the OP, I think it's pretty common to experience the inability to be able to draw on a deer for a while when you start and to miss as well. That's why I generally suggest to beginners to try to take a doe before worrying about taking a buck. That seems to relieve some of the mental pressure and builds confidence and experience. It'll get better. Another thing that may help is to get a deer target, seems illogical but there's just something different about having the target area suspended by legs than sitting on the ground or another block. It makes the target feel much smaller.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And just think...with a gun it'd been safety off and Boom....not as much fun or adrenaline rushing at all :evilgrin:

10. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just wait until it actually gets cold outside :). Try to calm yourself as much as possible and then pick a spot on that deer and focus on hitting that very specific tuft of hair you looking at. It is very easy to get your pin on the body and fire as quickly as possible but it is very important to take your time and aim.

Good luck and congratulations on a fun encounter.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have found that developing a healthy case of hatred towards deer helps greatly with buck fever.

12. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    why do you think we have safety harnesses, because we are clumbsy? NO, its to keep us from falling from passing out when a buck comes in.

13. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, archery is a hell of a drug isnt is. Gods drug my friend. I have been bowhunting for a few years now and honestly, I get just as wound up as I did my first year. Does not matter if its a buck or a doe, my heart feels one thump away from a heart attack. After I shot my biggest buck of my life 3 years ago I instantly threw up after the shot from nerves. Since I started bowhunting it has been a major fuel for my life. Only things more important to me are my God and my family.

14. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never thrown up from it but after I shoot a deer with a bow, I always get back spasms when I sit down. I have no idea why, it's weird but it always happens, I guess I tense up really bad.

15. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMHO the most challenging and rewarding hunting avalibel. Bow and Arrow :nana:

16. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And this is exactly why we all bow hunt. I'd rather shoot a doe with my bow rather than an 8 point buck from hundreds of yards away any day!

17. chewy

chewy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No matter what I always get buck fever even if it's a doe. Had a doe last year at about 15 yards out and missed it twice

18. jtreat

jtreat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    when I got my first bow kill I was standing behind a tree walking out of the field I had my blind in when some deer came out(too early i might add, I was young :busted:) my legs went to jello! i was able to hold it together just long enough to make a 25 yard shot and literally fell to the ground, and I was hooked. once you harvest one with a bow you will never feel the same about getting one with a rifle just not as rewarding. Just so you know that was not the first deer that I shot at with a bow in hand, those were are laughably clean misses! :bow:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  19. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like many have had your same experience...including myself so hang in there...my suggestions though to break it is to spend more time on stand with deer in close proximity. That will acclimate you to having deer so close like you need em in bowhunting...also if you can draw on some deer when you know you are not going to shoot them. Just practice drawing back with out being seen hold your pin on them and then let down. I like to do this on the first few deer I see each year. Good luck

20. OzarkLuke

OzarkLuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The first one I ever tried a bow on I hit the release about halfway back and busted myself in the teeth pretty dang hard and missed by a long ways. Sat back down and tried to catch my breath and found I had swallowed my chew. Met up with my brother and he asked if I saw anything...I just said nope nothin