best affordable camo?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by 2005tritontr186, Sep 17, 2015.

1. 2005tritontr186

2005tritontr186 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just starting to get into hunting this year and was wanting to know what camo out there that's not to bulky {bowhunting only} that is fairly quiet and something that will keep me warm? Looked into under Armour but that's a little more than I wanna spend

2. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing your talking camo clothes, not patterns, right? There are a lot of things to consider.. what temperatures will you be hunting in? What is your $ range? If you're talking camo, most all the patterns out there will break up your form just fine. Camo in my opinion is a bit overrated, as deer cannot see detail like we do, so HD camo is just for US humans and to appeal to our eyes. Break up form, don't move, you should be fine. Check out early fall clothes (shirts/pants/jackets), and then cold weather suits/coats, etc. too.

3. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do it right once, and you won't have to do it over down the road. Check out the Sitka line up. Worth it's weight in gold! Once you hunt in it, you'll never go back.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    To save $$, I look for camo that is light enough to wear early, but is loose enough that when it gets a little cooler, I can add layers underneath it without the clothes becoming tight. What depends on where you have to shop,

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is how I do it also until it gets really cold then I break out the warm stuff.

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would take a good base layer and a good outer shell for crappy weather. Other than that whater you can find cheap.

7. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For cold weather, wool...nothing better. I went the cheap route when I got started and regretted it. For an initial investment, quality wool will last you a very long time. For the early season, don't sweat patterns or anything...play the wind and stay still and you'll be fine. This is where you can save money.

8. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For late season Cabelas has some great wool outer layers that is fairly inexpensive compared to UA or Sitka.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9. Drivingtacks

Drivingtacks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is a great point. I do the same.

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you are just starting out and on a budget I would find some discounted camo. Once you get more experience you'll have a better idea of what you really want then you could go for the more expensive stuf. Bass Pro has effective camo on sale for 15 bucks each for shirt and pants and I use that stuff regularly. its light which works for early in the season and can add layers under it for later and things cool down. the old military camo works great too if you can find that. I've got more expensive camo and like it but that inexpensive stuff works just fine.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  11. hicks917

hicks917 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use multi cam and bdu . the are designed to have no glow and the blend in really good. Also, the are cheap and cand be picked up at a surplus store

diamond infinite edge
    trophy ridge hitman 5 .019
    6" stabilizer
    Easton FMJ
    rage hypodermic 100g

12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Military surplus BDU makes good and cheap hunting clothes. lots of pockets, priced about half what a name brand camo pattern wil cost and comfortable.

13. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was just checking out some products from Huntworth at a local outdoor store. Seems like good quality apparel at a fairly low price. Good luck!

14. Csw60970

Csw60970 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Walmart, they usually have inexpensive camp that admittedly won't be the best quality, but you could look at getting some quality base layers for warmth and then shirts and pants from Walmart. Layering is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. almightynut

almightynut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see some good stuff on eBay all the time I saw scent lok tops and bottoms on there for 40$ each and they were light enough to wear in warm weather and if you get a good base layer good until 30 degree out for me anyways. I like wearing layers instead of one heavy thing. Do your homework by
    your homework you'll find something in the price for you

16. jd_Kansas

jd_Kansas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like the Red Head Silent Hide stuff from Bass Pro. Affordable and durable in my experience. I've had mine for years. BUT, everyone has their own preference. Someone already said it, but time will show you what works & doesn't work for you. You're doing right by not overspending until you get out there and learn what you really need and what you don't.

17. ruteger

ruteger Guest

There's are usually a lot of great deals after season and they get posted here, so that's also a thought. I picked up an early season field and stream pants and jacket for $35 for both and they were normally $220. And I also got some $80 merino base layers for $20 or so.

18. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I go to wal-mart for my clothing. Cheap and they have their own cent blocking system. I got a pair of pants that are loos fitting. I also got scent IQ thermals from them. I like them all very comfortable some what insolated. I wear a cheap pair of sweat pants under them for the late season.

19. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For the most part camo is camo. What your camo looks like isn't going to be the deciding factor in whether or not you will kill a deer. Some brands might be made with better material and keep you warmer but who cares. Buy some long John's. If you don't get cold hunting in Wisconsin it's only because you haven't been in the stand long enough.