After the kill

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Shocker99, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im sure there is probably a previous post about this but if there is i havent read it. Just thought it would be interesting to hear what everyones favorite deer gutting and/or skinning knives are... do you have an old favorite passed down from Gramps or something new you cant wait to get blood on??? I personally like a little bit bigger knives for gutting than most do. Ive been using a SOG field pup for the last 6 or 7 years but just recently bought a Benchmade Bushcrafter for an all purpose knife. I like a knife big enough to rip theough the chest with little effort. My skinning/boning knives are all forschner and victorinox, well just because they are the best!

2. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I carry two knives both Buck's. Folding Omni Hunter 12PT Knife, its is my heavy duty general purpose knife.

For gutting and skinning, I use a BuckLite MAX Small Sheath Knife. It has a good blade size and the sheath knife is easier to clean the blood and guts from than a folding blade.

3. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a fixed blade guy as well as they're simpler to clean. I have a couple I bounce between but I too like a larger blade. Keep it hair popping sharp and I can pop through the chest cavity no problem. Also seem to work better cutting around the anus.

For processing I bring out the Wüsthof and get busy.

4. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use my grandpa's old fixed blade Western knife. Beautiful knife with a leather wrapped handle that is in great shape from being taken care of. It's the only knife my grandpa had used. My grandpa had passed away close to 10 years ago now. My dad held onto that knife and gave it to me last year.

A little story behind why I didn't get it sooner. As a women, I just never wanted to gut my own deer. It wasn't gross or anything like that to me, just a dirty job I didn't want to do. I've always hunted with my brother, dad, uncle, and a couple of cousins. There was always some one there MORE than willing to gut my deer. Last year was my first bow season and I told my dad and brother I needed to learn to gut a deer this year being when bow hunting, I wouldn't have some one to gut it for me.

My bow season was unsuccessful but I did take a nice doe during rifle season. Dad gave me grandpa's knife while we were in the woods to do my first gut job with. It was a great family moment as my brother came over to help drag dad's deer out too.

Any ways, I love the knife but it feels a little small in the hand while doing a slippery job. I willing be watching this thread to see what others use as an idea on new knife for me. Grandpa's knife will still come to the woods with me for good luck though.

6. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Thats an awesome story. I know youll pass that knife down to the next in line. Hopefully after many more gut jobs!

7. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a small folding knife 4 inch and unless i am concerned regarding a mount i cut from the bottom to the top /chin with a split brisket it is a simply and less mess of a job using the windpipe to work everything out. I remember as a kid striping down to a t shirt and reaching in past the elbows covered in everything

8. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Havalon.... end of story

9. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Gerber one, same principal, best investment ever. I carry a Gerber gut hook knife to work the hard parts. I use the replaceable blade to gut and skin. I used the same blade on three deer before I really needed to swap blades.
    I also carry a small saw to split pelvis when gutting.

Vital-Pocket-Folder_fulljpg.jpg Moment-Sheath-Folder-Gut-Hook_fulljpg.jpg

10. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've started gutless skinning these past couple years. No need to hang if you don't want or don't have the ability to. Don't have to worry about popping anything and ruining meet. Just peel back the hide and debone it. You can get the loins out once you've taken the straps off. I just use my fingers to peel it away with ease.

I put it all on ice, as soon as I get it cut off, layer it in and keep it covered with ice for a few days. Every day I drain the old water off and put in fresh ice.
    Then to finish processing it. I fill the sink with water, label my ziplock bag, put them under the water with the meat. I then work all the extra air and water out of the bag and seal underwater. This to me works better than any vacuum sealer you can get and is way cheaper and just as fast. Haven't had any freezer burn in years. I usually save my back straps for special occasions, this method gives me peace of mind.

11. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting approach. Lot of guys store/age in a cooler with ice, but the ziplock under water I have never heard. Wife got us a vac sealer so that's what I use, but I'm curious if anyone else has done this.

Btw I use a Winchester knife, gut & saw tri-fold knife that works well for me.

12. DanielBrown

DanielBrown Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A good knife can make the world of difference. I actually made my knife. Love it! My dad got the Moment Field Dress Kit from Gerber last year and those knives do very well! A bad knife can ruin even the best of successful hunts. Spend the little extra and get yourself a good knife!

13. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    My uncle uses one and raves about it.. i just didnt want to get stuck with something that might get discontinued and i couldnt get replacement blades for but it looks like they arent going away. May have to pick one up.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 4" Rapala presentation fillet knife I have had for 25 years, I have used it to gut and skin deer, bear, and fillet thousands of fish. Oh sure I could find a specialty knife but there is something to be said for using what you have.

15. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    @havalon

16. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Outdoor Edge Razor and drywall hand saw.

17. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Swise660! Your full fledged now! :)

18. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buck fixed blade ~5in. Keeps a good edge, even lost it for a winter in a field and found it! Many years left!

19. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    The same happened to my SOG!!! Found it year later, chewed up by the squirrels but hey that just gives it character.