River bottom/farm land hunting stand placement

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by t8rsalad, Feb 18, 2015.

1. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So as I mentioned in my intro thread, I'm new to bow hunting. I've had good success the last two years during gun season since I'm able to reach out much further with my .270. I'm planning on bow hunting this property for the first time this fall. I'd like to pick everyone's brains to see where a good stand would be for this property. I've added the current aerial and topo maps. Any and all feedback is appreciated. I've highlighted the property lines proximity in orange. If you need any other info, let me know.

2. Vinoex

Vinoex Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The way I would hunt this is by scouting the creak that runs through the property to find where deer are crossing the creek. Then set up a stand one or two of the major crossings. The inside corner of the wooded area looks promising and where the creek enters the larger creek looks promising.

3. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That inside corner of the woods right where the 2 streams come together, and the funnel between there and the river. Scout which side of the creek is better, since it looks like both sides are on your property. can deer get up/down the steep bluff at the top? Is it thick enough for them to walk unseen along the bottom of the bluff?

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You bet if there is any decent crossing this a good place to look for a stand site with cover on both sides of the creek land.jpg

5. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The property lines split the river and the creek, so the east side creek, everything west of there is ours and everything north of the river on the south side. The bluff on the north side of the property is basically a small CRP field (9 acres) once you clear the crop fields. My last two bucks taken during gun seasons were where the creek enters the river on the SE side and on the SW corner of the bluff on the north side of the property. Once you get north of the property line, that is open grass that cattle stay on year round. The nearest cover after that is about a mile away. South of the river, there are several bluffs with good cover where I suspect the deer stay. East and west of our property are farm fields with limited cover. Once our farmer pulls his crops, he doesn't plant anything else and the deer become nomads and don't really stay on the property very long unless trying to avoid the neighbors.