Potential New

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by EliteGame530, Feb 5, 2015.

1. EliteGame530

EliteGame530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Potential New Lease questions 60+acres/2k

20150205_144148.jpg

20150205_144044.jpg

20150205_144247.jpg
    Im hoping you more experienced leasers can help me decide on this lease I have an option to get. I went today
    and looked at the properties. They are in central Ohio close to family who i really want to be able to use this property to hunt and have fun. The lease is 2k for 60+ acres. PRIME DEER HABITAT! The guide found a half of a 8 point while we were there, and there was 6-8 hour old tracks in the snow everywhere. Nice rubs, we saw a few different ones. so i know there's deer everywhere in there.

They are also loggin 100 trees AT THE MOMENT, so it should open it up a little better because it thick right now.

My initial impression was its a pretty small woodlot but its definitely holding deer and has deer passing through.This is my first time leasing HUNTING property so im kind of apprehensive because this is my first time. But i know how to hunt and i see all the good sings your looking for.

*Close to home
    *PRIME DEER HABITAT
    *Not out of my price range
    *visible potential

Picking are kind of slim for leases in the Central ohio are so im kind of pressed between a rock and a hard place. also if i did get this lease i would like to have everything ready to hunt this coming deer season here.

I just really wanted to get some ideas and opinions on this lease. what could be done. what cant be done. just a general conversation with more experienced minds.

Any questions that could help better in understanding what im talking about appreciated.

Note for pictures.
    Picture with circles. Black circles are property in the lease and red circle is a no hunting are. blue circles are water sources.

Thanks
    Mike

2. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Big buck country for sure! Tho, I don't have a good answer for you on whether to lease it or not, but I am curious to how would you hunt that piece of property? Seems to me, if you hunted the mornings (unless you went in after sunrise), you would scare every deer out of the fields and possibly into the tree area you're going to. In return, they would know where you're sitting. So possibly afternoon hunting be the best? But, then you have to think, most likely these strips of woods are the deer's sanctuaries. I'd assume they would pinpoint you walking in, in the afternoons (even if you stayed along the edge of the woods/field).

To me, looks like a very difficult piece to hunt consistently. Now, it could (IMO) be an awesome rut spot, where you hunt a couple times a year, most likely all day sits. Is 2k worth that?

How are you planning to hunt this property? Very often? What's your plan of attack?

3. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    That was my first question to the guide. "where do I access?"

I guess that why I wanted to get some ideas on how I can hunt this property. Lol I really have no clue. I'm used to dealing with large expanses of woods That you can access from different points.

2k is at the top of my budget for lease. but it's 40 min away. so that's REALLY convenient. But I really don't have any other options at the moment.

The public land I hunt is right down the street so I can keep the doe hunting over public land and hope to draw some nice bucks for me my girlfriend and family. Pretty actively hunting as this will be my only lease. Still gonna public land hunt.

4. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    There is parking across the street from the Woodlot I don't have to drive on that side of the woods and field but they could possibly see me pulling into that parking spot lol

5. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well one thing is for sure. This spot would definitely refine your hunting skills.

If I were deciding on whether to lease this property, my first question would be entrance/exit. Without those 2 in your favor, it doesn't matter how big the bucks are in an area, it would be extremely hard to hunt them, let alone see them.

Once you have your entrance/exit plan figured out, that'll tell you, is the area worth trying to hunt or not. If you find out it is, then lease that puppy and stick to your plan and hunt hard! If not, then there is still time to find another lease.

6. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:

I definitely dig what your saying. My firt question to the guy was how to enter and exit without being spotted. I didnt get a clear defined answer.

20150205_175500.jpg

The best picture i can show is this one. It shows all available entrance/exits. The black line is the road that leads to that woodlot. The yellow is where I can park so far.The red X is a house where i was suggested to ask permission to use their fence line to enter/exit. So that might be a possibility.

7. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    Lat year they planted soybeans. This year its corn. Thinking that could provide some cove from the road but it could still be noisey

8. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean about the guide?

9. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    The guy who showed me the property. He hunted there last year. He said no deer were taken from there but his son missed an 8 point in october.

10. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is he in charge of the hunting ground?

11. EliteGame530

Dislikes Received:
    yea I guess you can say that. The owner is a senior and dosent go around much to his properties