Deer hunting in the rain

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by HamBros Outdoors, Jan 15, 2015.

1. HamBros Outdoors

HamBros Outdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Deer hunting in the rain -

in this video we go gun hunting here in Ohio, the weather as you will see is nothing but bad and wet. We head to the ground blind and set in the rain in hopes of getting a shot at a deer. Hunting in the rain can be a great time to be in the woods......well if you can stay try. Lets go to the deep woods of Adams county Ohio and lets get in the ground blind.

http://youtu.be/IFRbGSHKmEM

2. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like hunting in the rain as long as it isn't a down pour..

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I sat in the rain this year, I was miserable but successful. Tracking can be a challenge but it is possible to find a deer without a blood trail.

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rain doesn't bother the deer so I don't let it bother me, unless it's mixed with winds and lightning!

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll hunt with a light rain/drizzle (actually like it), but with heavy rain I'll stay home.

6. avant

avant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rain is a good time to get up and walk around (stalk hunt) since it dampens the smells and sounds.
    I did this once this past season and was able to not only get some good scouting in but also find a nice buck, but not a shooter.

7. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I strongly agree, based on my whole experience, I dont see alot of deer moving on a nasty storm shower so its not worth getting drenched in the cold.

8. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you got a house or a windowd box blind

9. Joey Beck

Joey Beck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love stalking corn fields when its raining me and my buddy will go down corn row to corn row looking down them a lot of the time you will find nice bucks just bedded down in between. And if the wind is good they never see or here you coming this is a little ten he got this past year by doing that on some public. hunters buck.jpg

10. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I learned that from Dan Fitzgerald years ago in MI.. wish Dan still had a show he is really a good deer hunter a little odd but knows his stuff..

11. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dropped two deer in the pouring rain this year through spot and stalk, plus no one else was out in the woods, which was awesome. I'm going to spend a lot more time hunting the rainy days this year. It's challenging and it's a good workout as well!

12. cg2737

cg2737 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A couple years ago I broke down and dropped the $ on a nice set of rain gear. I actually enjoy being in the woods in the rain now. I was able to take a nice doe on the ground.

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you guys. I don't mind drizzle and light rain. I'm OUT on the toad strangler w/ wind and lightning!!!

14. 5 seas

5 seas Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like being in a ground blind during rain. I won't take a longer shot because tracking is almost non existant in rain. I want a clean kill. So 15 to 20 yds max. Storms...I hide like the deer do

15. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to avoid the rain, but this year I got caught in it while in the tree... It kept getting worse, wind blowing.. thunder in the distance.. I considered it a pretty dangerous situation, so I started packing up and then about 50 yards away I saw one of the bucks I had been after, a nice main frame 8 with split g2s. Had not seen him since the first week of season and there he was meandering down a right-of-way. He didn't seem to be caring about much.. obviously no shot situation but that scene will be etched in my mind for a while. If he had been closer, it would have been a tough shot due to the wind, tree movement etc. I considered it a lesson learned and I'd like to pay more attention to deer movement, especially older bucks in rough weather. Being one to usually avoid the rain in archery season, if I would have looked outside and saw that type of weather before I left the house, there is no way I would have gone to the stand. Was it a fluke, or was the buck really not bothered by the storm...