Missouri Public Land

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by smha6784, Jan 13, 2015.

1. smha6784

smha6784 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you guys hunt on public land in Missouri ? I have made up my mind that i will be taking a trip up there next season to try my hand at a Missouri monster.
    I am more specifically looking to know how crowded public land is up there, and if anyone has hunted in the ozark zone.

2. smha6784

smha6784 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    White Ranch CA?

3. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes there crowded, hunt as far north as you can drive.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've always been lucky enough to hunt private ground here in Missouri, but this year I just wasn't seeing the deer so I decided to give public land a try. I don't think most Conservation areas are really crowded during bow season, gun season a different story though. I would suggest finding a CA that is as far away from any of the larger cities as you can. The one I hunted is about 60 miles away of Kansas City and it see's pretty high traffic.

Here's the video from my hunt.
    [video=youtube_share;uNWD-_SiD14]http://youtu.be/uNWD-_SiD14[/video]

5. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know how it is in northern Missouri, but southern Missouri they hunt deer year round. Anything close to a major high way gets hammered.

6. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He said he was looking for a monster...:wave:

I would look at deer ridge area,or rebels cove. Ditch the out of state tags on the truck. If it was me I would lease or rent the time you want from a outfitter that has unguided hunts. Pretty easy to lease ground in the north east and central.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is quite a bit of public land that is archery only. Especially S/O KC where all the duck hunters hang out. You'd be surprised what hangs out in those areas. ultramax is right on the Northern Missouri part. It is hard to beat for size.

8. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know Missouri's neighboring state like Arkansas that nobody hunts public land because every resident hunts on their own land. My dad didn't hunt.but he went with a relative to check it out. Hes encountered allot of deer bedding. But give it a try in missouri

9. NEMObowhunter

NEMObowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted public ground in the central and northeast parts of the state for the past couple seasons. Overall the hunting pressure stays pretty low through most of the bow season. It gets very crowded though about the end of October. There is lots of quality land to hunt with good deer numbers, but you can expect a lot of other hunters during the rut.