Bitter sweat end to a good year.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Keith Mako, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a great year but also a bad end. One I never got meat in the freezer two I got lost in the woods. Getting lost was very scary It was dark no moon and over cast nothing to guide my self by. It was not very fun. I was following a river and couldn't cross it. It opened up to a large swamp and found an area I thought I could cross. When I stepped down On what I thought was solid ground both legs sunk in up to my hips. I had to pull my self out. It was dark and cold I just kept moving and stuck to a game plan. after a few hours and some scary moments I found an area to cross and made it to the road. I think with all the walking and the cold mud hitting my legs I pulled both groins.
    With all that said I saw the most deer I have ever seen in the woods. I saw my first buck before shooting hours but it was still great to see. I gained hunting rights to a large area to hunt. I also got a shot off on a doe. If I didn't hit a branch with my strings I would have had a deer. It was an awesome deer. Next year I should get meat in the freezer and not get lost. I will be much safer on the private land. I hope every one else has a safe year next year.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I imagine being lost in the dark walking miles to get unlost it would be a bitter sweat.:D

3. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    getting lost in the woods can be scary... which is why I an not too proud you use a trail marker of some sort...

keep at it next year will be better, start by shed hunting here in a month or so...

4. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scary feeling! I almost got lost in some not so familiar big, high elevation woods two years back. Scary thing. I was hunting from 8000 feet up and along a 9500 foot mountain. I came down into an area of monotonous dense pines, 1/4 mile in and I knew I was in trouble. I stuck to a plan and luckily stumbled onto a different road than I suspected but was able to connect to the intended road. I walked it back to camp. I gained a respect for the forest that day.

5. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a boating accident bout 4 years back, fishing for bass on the James River up in Virginia.....Boat went over some falls, and with that all 3 of us did to.......Its was right at dark when it happened, we made it back to the bank, and got on a railroad bed, and walked 10 plus miles in BUM %^%^ Egypt, before we even came upon civilization again......Had a friend with us from Boston...City boy, and he just about couldn't make it...Almost cried Uncle on us...But we prevailed, and made it out...but I know exactly what your talking about...
    We coundn't see our hand in front of us back in those mountains..... and before you ask....
    We didn't hear any banjo's either....LOL
    Creeks!