Where do deer go?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Ky Bob, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  2. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    this is why on my lease I really try and limit my impact on the local deer heard, even though I have killed 4 the deer pretty much still act now like the did opening day.. I limit my guests and rarely gun hunt the farm even during rifle season

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just further proof no matter what people say gun seasons affect the deer more than anything...

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That makes sense in a big woods situation, but here in the midwest, we just don't have large tracts of timber or spots that are 1000 yards away from the nearest road. I'd be curious to see a study like that done on deer here in the midwest and see what the results show. There's just not that many places around there that aren't accessible to the hunters. My guess is they will hide in areas that hunters overlook like thin draws of timber or little timber islands that we all just ignore.

5. Ky Bob

Dislikes Received:
    I think they catch on pretty quick when they hear the shots being fired from those who wait until the minute to decide to sight their rifle in.

6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think it has more to do with intrusion into the woods. Finally hanging stands, picking out spots, putting out bait (illegal and legally) and such. Hearing loud noises I doubt deer have the perception ability to decipher and remember exactly what that is...otherwise they'd be fully nocturnal animals like bats.

7. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At the end of gun season I often find deer bedded in open fields in some washouts some just as small a there chest deep. This season I have had tons of dogs on trail cams and rifle season was awful seen ten dogs opening day. Lots of guys seem to sight there guns in here in urban areas...right at dark of course

8. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. They experience a huge increase of human activity and ground scent. Deer go wherever they don't come in contact with human scent. If you think of it this way you'll have an idea where mature bucks will move to.

9. Ky Bob

Dislikes Received:
    I'll agree with that also. I never thought about hanging stands because all of mine are already in by July. You can add to that list placing trail cams in the woods a week or two before the season. Every time I check a cam I spray them with scent killer and also take any type of greenery like weeds, cedars Etc and rub it all over my hands. I also wear knee high rubber boots that have never been anywhere except the cabin.

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's NO DOUBT they know when it's hunting season. I'm just happy the public land I hunt has a lot of really thick areas for these deer to find seclusion in.