What do you think??

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Hoytman62, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Hoytman62

Hoytman62 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I watch all these outdoor hunting shows and they ALL say to Scent Killer or some kind of scent killer before hunting. Then they say, use a Cove Scent. Before that, Shower with scent killer soap or wash. Then was clothes in Scent Killing detergent. Then you need Scent Lok clothing. THEN after all that, use Ozonics!! I have done it all and they still get me!! Is this stuff just to get your money? You can have thousands of dollars locked up in all this stuff and still get busted!! Oh yea, don't forget the Tinks, Doe Pee, etc.and Rubber boots, drags, All the Deer calls and Antler Rattles!!! Mercy!! But before all that, don't forget the Trail Cameras!! $$$$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt the Wind !! Everything else is preference and what works for you. Of course there going to push Companies products that's their job and those Companies pay these Hunting "celebs" to do what they do .

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For what you spend on all that you could buy 3 stands for all the winds. I use ozone but only in my tent- clean room, not in the stand. Look at the cover and the winds and sit on that "edge".

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I stopped buying all that crap, I'm a very mobile hunter and hunt the wind. I now see more deer, have more fun and save a lot of money.

5. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I say scent free on your boots is #1. Don't let them know u were there. So don't touch vegetation or spray whatever might touch vegetation. Mature deer may still be able to tell.

Laundry, deodorant and spraying all ur stuff is #2. Gives u huge advantage with young deer, especially urban/suburban deer, regardless of wind.

Scent lok, ozonics, cover scents are #3...might give big advantage for mature deer, but I'm sure many here would say not required. I've never used them. It's expensive but ppl buy it.

6. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt the wind is all you have to do. I thought it was kinda funny when watching a hunting show last week they sprayed down with some kind of scent killer and then talked about how important their Ozonics were!

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few things that work well for me and I use them. I wash my clothes in scent free detergent (DDW) and I spray down with (DDW) when I am getting dressed at the truck. I use Doe urine on a wick to make other deer think a deer is in the area. Mock scrapes and estrus can be highly effective during the Pre-Rut/Rut and I will use them. All those things work in conjunction with each other and can often be beneficial in helping you bag a mature buck. None of them are worth a hoot if you don't hunt the wind. I guess buying all this doesn't bother me. It goes with the trade. I don't have any other bad habits or addictions other than bow hunting. So anything that I think will give me an advantage, I will try. I do have my limits though! :tu:

8. MasonR3B

MasonR3B Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Best thing I have found for a cover scent is turpentine. Relatively cheap, and very strong. Mix with water, and you're good to go. Have a great season!

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Turpentine. Cool. You ever have it spook deer?

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where did you ever come up with this?

11. MasonR3B

MasonR3B Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Turpentine is all I use for cuts and scratches. I was using it one day and it just clicked in my head that it was an extremely concentrated pine scent.

12. MasonR3B

MasonR3B Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Never. But deer down here in southeast GA have frown up around pines all their life, so they're very used to the strong pine smell that turpentine gives off as you could imagine.

13. MasonR3B

MasonR3B Newb

Dislikes Received:
    And side note- sometimes it's best not to mix with water, and if you do, make it a small portion of water. Lasts a lot longer that way.

14. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, hunt the wind. Don't put so much faith in these scent killer companies... heck, I myself can smell an odor when I spray myself with scent eliminator, so I know a deer can. I'm obsessed with scent, and it's royal pain but it's worth it. If I have to wash my clothes, I usually do it a couple weeks before the season in some sort of scent eliminator soap... Then dry them on the line outside or in the dryer with some pine branches thrown in the dryer. My hunting clothes (right down to underwear) NEVER EVER go inside the house or even in the truck. I keep them in a tote with pine branches and apples. Before hunting, I shower in scent eliminator soap, use scent eliminator deodorant, and then drive to the field where I change into my hunting clothes before hunting, then change back out after I'm hunting. Same goes for my hats, gloves, tree stand cushion, and harness. I see no sense in spending time in the woods if I have a high chance of failure... mights well stay home in that case

15. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting thought... How long have you been using this?

16. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there is an article on this site about using smoke to scent your clothes and gear with it. they say they've proved it time and again that the deer smell it and just think its a common scent that is normally in the woods so they don't spook and just go on about their business . it only makes sense around where I live because of the campfires and fireplaces and wood burning stoves that are being used this time of year. I have yet to try it but am going to next chance I get to hunt to prove it to myself if it works or not. if it does....how much does all that scent stuff add up to ? maybe a new bow or gun? ammo? tree stand? also if it does you wouldn't have to worry about the wind because they are going to smell it anyway.. just would be easier to concentrate more on hunting and less on wind direction......just my 2 cents