Who has killed a buck they had shed antlers from?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Scoutking07, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Scoutking07

Scoutking07 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious as to who has killed a buck that they had previously found sheds to? How far away did you kill him from the sheds? Did finding the sheds help you better understand or figure out where to hunt the buck? Photos would be awesome to, this year or years past. Thanks.

I'll start, found this guys matched set last April, sheds were about 30 yards apart and ending up killing him almost one mile as a crow flies from where his sheds were. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice! I've done it once. Found five sheds off this buck, two matched sets, missed him once, then killed him all in a 30 acre area. Was bitter sweet putting an end to this guy, something I'll probably never experience again
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  3. Scoutking07

Scoutking07 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Five sheds from him, that's awesome! By the looks of it he never really got a lot bigger or made a big jump in antler size. That is about what happens in our area too. Very heavy and massive buck, cool story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, he might have put on 15" in the three years. I put an arrow in a 160" buck I had 1 shed to the year prior but was unable to recover it, neighbor was able to kill him the following week chasing does, he put on about 40-50" of bone in that year. Just the difference in genetics.

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i've shot 5-6 that have found the previous sheds from/

6. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I only found one side of a buck I chased in 2011 that would have scored mid-150's. Got him September 2012 and he scored 170" even.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It happened to me last year.
    Found sheds from 2 and 3 years ago. Nothing from the previous year though. Thought he was dead or moved on. Was amazing to see the amount of size he put on in 2 years. I killed him at 6 1/2.
    Let them grow!!

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have done it a few times.

9. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have done this one at least one season that i recall. Maybe others but this one stands out.

I first saw him at the last day of gun deer season and found his sheds in early November about 3/4 miler away. I then had him on trailcam in late August on afternoon and again on Thanksgiving day during the gun season. On New Years eve the last day of our archery season he came walking past with his toadie in the lead.

NewYearsEve2retry.jpg

10. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    image.jpg
    I found the shed 100-200 yards away from the stream crossing where I shot him. It's not a recent shed though, I'm guessing at least two seasons old.
    I began hunting the area because I found scrapes and heard there was a big deer in the area. The first spot I set up on a travel route between scrapes, but had no luck. I moved to a creek crossing funnel downhill, and set up a camera. I got 2 shooters on the camera in the first week, one in daylight. I hunted the stand on good winds, 3 or 4 mornings and one afternoon, and passed on smaller bucks on 3 occasions. Finally I mixed things up and came in on a different wind in the early afternoon and grunted in this beast.