Need some help????

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bowsie15, Nov 24, 2014.

1. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so me and a buddy have been hunting this buck hard ever since we got him on cam [​IMG]
    I have yet to see him in the stand but my buddy on Tuesday had him within 25 yards and took the shot. He was with a doe and she didn't even budge when he shot. The buck took off in the opposite direction like a bat out of hell. He couldn't get down for a while because the doe wouldn't leave then he heard a deer coming back kind of the direction the deer ran. He doesn't know if it was another deer or him. He wasn't confident in his shot. We scoured the area couldn't find the arrow, fur or blood. Followed his tracks in the leaves as best as we could and no sign of a wounded deer. The track was only definite for maybe 50 yards. Came back in later on with a rake to move the leaves from the area and nothing. Also he hasn't been on the trail cam either. So I don't know what to think I want to believe he is alive but I would I loved to find the arrow it's driving us crazy. Also there was some thorn vines in between but he said he didn't see any in the shot. Did he just leave the area I thought it was weird how he took off like crazy I've shot at deer and missed and they kind of bound a few times then look around. What do you guys think???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    No one has any advice????

3. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like he jumped the string. I'd be disappointed in a big missed opportunity but these things happen. Be glad he wasn't mortally wounded, you might see him again.

4. Hossmiller

Hossmiller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you have no blood and you've searched the area thoroughly, there's a good chance he's still alive and well. I haven't lost a deer yet, but have helped others who've lost deer and even on bad shots we've found some blood. Maybe it wasn't a lot of blood or the type of blood but usually something. The fact that you can't find the arrow leaves a huge peice of the puzzle out. You'd think if he hit him good enough that the deer had the arrow in him he would've bled a little. I hit a buck that turned at the shot and my arrow ended up long ways completely in his chest/body cavity. That deer hardly bled as there was no exit and the entrance closed up and the blood collected in his chest. Even though he didn't bleed a lot and I didn't find my arrow, I had pin drops here and there of blood. Good luck finding him or harvesting him if he's still alive.

5. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly finding the arrow would of been huge. I figured with the broad head hitting him there would be fur at the least. I'm hoping he shows on the trail cam. Just knowing that he's out there makes it that more fun.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What did he hear when he shot? A crack, a thud, nothing? It just as important to listen as it is too see when a deer is hit. Having nothing to go on is maddening but at that point you just have to assume he is alive till you find the carcass. Also if legal get some lighted nocks. That would help finding the arrow in most cases.

7. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    He had a lighted nock. He said he didn't hear anything but it was real windy.

8. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did he see the lit arrow in flight?

9. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of times if there are a lot of leaves you won't find blood because they turn over and when the deer is running they get tossed all around. And the arrow could just be under some brush. I would say keep grid searching. Does he know at all where he hit?

10. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    He said he was aimed right behind the chest. There was branches and vines that he did not see in between in the chest area. It was only the second deer he has ever shot at so he was not sure about a lot of things. He did day he didn't hear the twack sound that he heard when he shot his first deer

11. Gutpile323

Gutpile323 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard enough remembering everything that happens during and after the shot when you're experienced. Let alone being his second deer. I would hope the lighted nock would help you guys find the arrow or if it wasn't a pass through, show him run off with it in him. Shots that don't pass through in my opinion are a bear to find blood.

12. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    What I didn't like was he wasn't confident in his shot at all and he thought he came back but never saw the deer that came back in could of been a smaller buck because I had one on trail cam. Here was his tx to me right off the bat not confident and he misspells a lot ha ha[​IMG]

13. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the nock went off I would have tried to come back in the dark to find arrow. Not sure if that was tried or not. Hard to tell.

14. bowsie15

Dislikes Received:
    Yup we did that to no avail.

15. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I say he got buck fever and missed...watch your cameras to see if he shows back up. As far as the arrow goes it could have gone anywhere really.