Need help with shot placement.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Snufflip Scholven, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Snufflip Scholven

Snufflip Scholven Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Tuesday I missed school and went bow hunting, I had a little button buck good sized only young pass by my stand around 11:30 and I stopped him broadside at about 18 yds I was steady on my shot, i placed my 15 and 25 pins right behind his shoulder and let it fly, he jumped turned and ran about 40 yds before i lost sight of him. I climbed down 2 hours later to check for blood and my arrow, as i was unsure of my shot, this was my first opportunity within bow range, I do practice at least once a week and am confident of my ability. I found no blood but my arrow from broadhead to halfway up the shaft was wet with what looked like water. I didnt see any hair, or stomach content or smell anything. Searched for 2 hours until 3 by myself, then until 6 after dark with a friend. Can anybody help me with my shot placement and or any advice

2. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If if was me I would consolidate those two pins into a single 20 yard pin... unless your arrow trajectory does indeed change that much from 15 to 25 yards... By the information you provided I would assume it was a clean miss. Never hurts to aim a hair low in case the deer drops to jump (of course when a deer is getting ready to jump they lower themselves first to be able to spring upwards) when he hears the shot.

3. Snufflip Scholven

Snufflip Scholven Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well its not awful between 15 and 25 but 25-35 is ridiculous. I shoot an early 70s bear compound bow, rather than cams its more like two small wheels similar to the new Matthews bows but not nearly as large. Its max draw weight is 45lbs I shoot a 340gr Easton axis nfused arrow with a 100gr 3 blade fixed. Thanks for the advice, any advice is always appreciated.

4. American Honky

American Honky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    10-4... a bow of that era will definitely produce a little more noise during the shot. If a deer is already on edge and alert can duck faster than the arrow can travel. Do you remember if the deer dropped and ducked before he jumped?

5. Snufflip Scholven

Snufflip Scholven Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not that I can recall, the was at first maybe 10ft from base of tree, had no idea I was there, looked up the ridge past me at something for a few minutes then got jumpy, cocked one ear backwards then started towards the trail I took coming in, opposite the direction he was looking/ same as which way he was listening, he started walking off, passed a tree, i stood and drew so the tree would block his view, he stepped into an open area, i stopped him with a merp 18yds maybe, he froze, i settled my pins, released and he high tailed it outta there, white flag just flying, which is what my electrical teacher asked, me first, - did it tuck its tail when it ran...