the stare down

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by .09 Outdooors, Nov 13, 2014.

1. .09 Outdooors

.09 Outdooors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What is your guys opinion on whether or not deer can tell something is up if you just stare at them when they are infront of you. Kind of like how people get that "someones staring at me" feeling. Do you think deer are the same way? I know when I have deer infront of me I try to look at where there going, whats behind them and whats infront of them. I never watch them directly for too long because I think it makes them edgy, maybe im just crazy?

2. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I never look them directly in the eye. I fully believe they can sense a threat when you make direct eye contact with them, especially for any length of time. I have had several get jumpy when doing so, and they don't stick around long. Especially mature does.

3. gswartz

gswartz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have found that if I raise my bow in front of my face (assuming that I haven't drawn yet) I'm guessing it helps to break up my form and they don't seem to spook as quickly and I can keep looking directly at them. They do the head bob but then go on about what they were doing.

4. admoody

admoody Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't look the deer in the eye because it honestly scares me to death. There isn't really a good reason behind this because I'm at least 20ft in the air and have a bow in my hand but it still scares me.

5. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol you guys crack me up! Too much watching staring at goats. Deer fear me! I don't fear deer.

6. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have looked a lot of deer right in the eye just to prove there is no truth to this. In a treestand or looking out the window at my house I have never had them react when I stare at them.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't do it, not nice to stare take a picture it lasts longer

8. DThomp44

DThomp44 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The only problem I have is is sometimes when I'm staring a deer down and they are staring at me is I get tunnel vision if I don't look off soon. Other than that I keep an eye on them. I don't want them to sneak off and be setting somewhere and I didn't see where they went. Plus I'm not very good at no look bow shots.

9. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a predator our eyes are close together so we can judge distance. A deer knows the look of a predator Looking a deer directly in the eyes will spook it, same as you getting the stair down from a pit bull.

10. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What he just said...
    Deer identify the pattern of predator eyes in their surroundings the same way you would identify a sharks fin in the water.

I'm sure deer have a genetic memory of what a predators eyes look like, much more so then recognizing hunter orange or whatever camo or the fletching on your arrows.
    That said, deer have terrible eyesight for anything not moving.
    But IMHO, deer do become more skittish if you're eyes make contact.

11. cowsaysmoo

cowsaysmoo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lol they stare into your soul

12. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't buy it.....I've stared right at multiple deer for extended periods of time before I shot them....my buck this year was directly under my treestand rubbing on a licking branch staring right at me before he turned and gave me a shot....if you stay perfectly still it doesn't matter imo....at least that's my experience.....i do hold my bow in front of my face if I can though to just to break up my outline as said

13. TribalHunter

TribalHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i was all unprepared on time and just got in my stand and a buck run up under me.. well i wasn't ready yet so the buck and i had a 5 min stare down before he took off. .funny thing was i didn't stare him in the eyes that whole time. .lol.. and ill never be unprepared again!!

14. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I look at them all the time and they don't care. As long as you don't move you'll be fine. Sometimes I avoid looking them right in the eye at close range when I'm on the ground (less than 10 yards) But usually they don't care unless maybe it's a mature buck.

15. Boogaloo

Boogaloo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Whenever I have deer look up at me I squint so they can't see the whites of my eyes. Sit still, no worries.

16. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It seems like a lot of times when they make eye contact, it puts them on edge. I`d assume its due to blinking, and possible facial movements.

17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have found squinting helps a lot, because you don't have to blink. When staring with open eyes you eventually have to blink, and I've been busted because of it.

18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^This^ Once I see them look my way, I move my eyes downward and use my peripheral vision to watch that deer until it looks away or starts to browse again.

19. rtolliver

rtolliver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I try to look use peripheral vision. I don't agree with some of these guys. Most predators of deer focus their eyes on the kill, so YES, I'm sure it matters.

20. HillbillyD-Luxx

HillbillyD-Luxx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same thing. Or try not to make eye contact in general. I think deer can get suspicious of eyes at close range, whether you are moving or not.