Shakes

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by rraclawski, Nov 12, 2014.

1. rraclawski

rraclawski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright I'm new to this forum but this past weekend I missed a 150 inch 10 point due to the shakes. Any tips on how to over come those? By the way I've been hunting for 9 years.

2. jlamb14

jlamb14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I just look at the rack and confirm that its a shooter and proceed to make the shot. The more you think to yourself
    "wow its a monster" the more nervous you make yourself. Spend less time studying the rack and more time focusing on the shot, and in the wise words of Mel Gibson " Aim small, miss small".

3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Years ago I use to get nervous and shake. Now, it don't bother me till after I shoot. Then I have to sit down...lol. I just put into my mind years ago. None of it will matter or count for anything unless I make a good shot....lol. It has worked for me for a long time now, but once I shoot. Well....I better sit down for a few...lol. Thats when it hits me now.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's all mental, it's just another deer like countless others we've killed in the past...big deal, just get it done. Nothing to get jittery about, you either want it or you don't, will kill it or you won't...tomorrow will dawn anew either way.

5. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2 things that helped me deal with the shakes in my early bowhunting days.

First, if it was a antlered buck, I never paid much attention to the rack. You will know at a glance if you want to take a shot at him or not. There is plenty of time to survey the rack and count the points after you have the deer on the ground.

The second thing is something I learned from a long time, successful bowhunter. He told me to never look the deer you are preparing to shoot directly in the eyes. He claimed that looking an animal in the eye will have an adverse affect on them, and it would make it much harder to put a good shot on an animal that you were having a stare-down with. I have made good solid eye to eye contact with several deer over the year, and it did freak them out, make them very wary, and I had them on high alert and never got a shot at them.

Breath slowly and deeply, and concentrate on drawing at the correct time when the deer can't see the movement. Then, concentrate on putting the pin on the spot, and just letting the shot happen. If you are working on these things, you won't have time to freak out. We all get a little giddy before the shot, and usually a lot giddy after the shot. When I lose that giddy feeling...........it will be time to hang up my bow and find something else to do!

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    can't disagree with what others have written, but I'd like to add that I used to get so addled I was unable to draw my bow, even on spikes. What has helped me (granted, I've never had anything over 110" w/in bow range with a chance at a shot) is to pretend I'm going to shoot almost every deer that comes into range. Practice getting your bow in hand. Stand up. Hook up. Even pantomime the draw if you can. Focus on the exact spot you would send an arrow. It becomes habit. Habits are second nature.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beehunter hit it on the head for me.
    I still get nervous when I see a shooter. I just concentrate on the shot. Afterwards, well that's another story, I have to take a break. The nervous really hits me then. All the previous are great advice. We are all different. Find what works for you. If I quit getting nervous it will be time to find something else to do.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Once your buck comes in and you decided he's a shooter, STOP thinking about the rack, take your eyes off it. Treat that buck like it's a doe. Pick out your spot that you want to hit and focus on that, Draw back, breath out and release your arrow. Then, shake like crazy :)

Basically you need to train yourself to not get so excited when an opportunity presents itself. Try and stay more emotionally detached until after you release the arrow.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Spoken cues you either whisper or run through your head. I used to say the same thing in my mind all the time; draw, anchor, sight picture, pin, slow squeeze.

Lately I've started stating the Lord's Prayer in my mind...perhaps I'm whispering it too. Tends to calm my nerves, but as others have stated post shot I am a WRECK!

10. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't count points!!! If you know it's a shooter focus on the shot and go through you progressions!! Follow through!!

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said do not focus on the rack. Tell yourself to calm down it is just a deer

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't put it but also as soon as decision to shoot is made focus on killzone only. Last year you can ask my pops, Tom Lester and many others. I sent out a BBD text and couldn't tell anyone what or exactly how big he was because I stopped looking. It's tough but do that and it goes a long way.

13. deerhunter2381

deerhunter2381 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

You got Buckfever brother... and for that I don't think there is a cure

Dallas Davidson - Buck Fever - YouTube

14. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This happened to me yesterday morning.
    My back leg just started jackhammering, I didn't know what to do! I took the shot, but hit him in the shoulder. :(
    Going back out to look today.
    One thing I've noticed is I usually get a big adrenaline rush with the first deer of the sit, then with that out of the way I don't get as rattled when a buck comes in.
    The problem is when a big buck comes in first! Then I am susceptible to the fever!

I agree with dnoodles too, drawing on each and every deer you can makes the moment of truth much more familiar.
    If you get used to getting all the way to full draw and picking a spot on every deer you can, when that shooter is in your lane all you have to do extra is pull the release.