Rattling: When to do it

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Brad Bever, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Brad Bever

Brad Bever Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What are some experiences on when to use the rattling antlers? Is it too early yet as far as the rut goes or should I just tickle the tines? Also, what are some experiences with rattling in the evening?

2. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my experience the best time to rattle is early/middle October. I've never rattled in anything in November but I have rattled in quite a few bucks in the first week or 2 of October.

3. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rattling now .. Always start around 31 October. I light rattle to start, so I don't scare what's close. After the first sequence, I get crazy ) don't be afraid to bang those things together. I have watched giant bucks fight and it is crazy loud. I believe small horns and bags call smaller bucks.
    My $.02

4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It also depends on the amount and quality of bucks you have on your property... But now would be a good time to start rattling. Especially early morning.

5. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot my buck on Nov 8 last year in PA after a light rattling sequence. Not positive that I rattled him in, but I agree November is the time to really start rattling. I tend to start light and progressively more energy into it each time I do it maybe every 15-20 minutes. If I see rut behavior or aggressiveness I will bang em together more.